94ah range

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peter downes

Hi all

i am looking at a 2018 i3s advertised as 94ah, but showing a range of 232 k's. Is that possible, or perhaps it's a 120ah ? it's not a rex. cheers

My 2017 94ah has a displayed "range" of 120 miles in warm weather. That is about 193Km. Sometimes when fully charged it will show up to 150miles which would be 241km. But that drops after I start actually driving it. This is in "Comfort" mode. The range will be displayed as higher if you put the car into EcoPro or EcoPro+ mode. So I guess you have to find out what mode the car is in if you are looking at a pic.

My 2017 94ah has a displayed "range" of 120 miles in warm weather. That is about 193Km. Sometimes when fully charged it will show up to 150miles which would be 241km. But that drops after I start actually driving it. This is in "Comfort" mode. The range will be displayed as higher if you put the car into EcoPro or EcoPro+ mode. So I guess you have to find out what mode the car is in if you are looking at a pic.
thanks for this. I guess it is a 94ah and the dealer has maximized the displayed range for marketing. cheers

My 2017 94Ah BEV i3 had 135 mile "real" 100 to 0 freeway range, some hilly, on nice days (warm, no wind), real-life tested a few separate occasions.

I run a 2017 94Ah

It usually shows 140+ miles at full charge in summer. In winter 125.

I was in the 20-80 charge club for 5 years, but recently joined the 100 club plus balancing time club. This has improved the range by @10%. There may be more improvement to come with a few more months of balancing.

I run a 2017 94Ah

It usually shows 140+ miles at full charge in summer. In winter 125.

I was in the 20-80 charge club for 5 years, but recently joined the 100 club plus balancing time club. This has improved the range by @10%. There may be more improvement to come with a few more months of balancing.
Wow, wow, wow. You're in a far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far milder climate than I am I suppose.

Did you measure the highest and lowest voltages of the 96 battery cells using the mi3 (iOS) or electrified (Android) app? If not, you can't know how well-balanced your battery cells were or whether charging to 100% and allowing cell balancing to occur for several hours is really necessary.

These apps also display the BMS's estimate of the battery pack capacity. If the cells' charge levels are poorly balanced, the pack usable capacity should decrease. Your 10% range increase estimate under identical conditions should be reflected by an increase in the pack usable capacity. If no pack usable capacity increase occurred, the range increase would have to be due to different driving conditions, inflation pressures, average speeds, ambient temperatures, etc.

I've been monitoring the maximum and minimum cell voltages for several years on our former 2014 i3 and current 2019 i3 while rarely charging to 100% yet have never seen poor cell charge level balance. Charging to 80-90% seems sufficient to keep the cells well-balanced while also decreasing the cell degradation rate. The i3's passive cell balancing system seems to be very effective even when not charging to 100% routinely.

Sadly not. I've only just got serious about the battery. This was driven by the thought of selling the vehicle if I suspected serious degradation.

I got the Vpeak dongle and used electrified only last week. I also put mi3 on a IOS device.

I modified a few codes using Bimmercode. It's lovely to have door mirrors that fold in automatically.

The figures returned a few days ago are

Reading 1 - 369V ; Ah 89.5
Reading 2 - 371V ; Ah 89.5

mi3 app
Reading 3 - 379.68V ; Ah 89.75

I cannot find good explanations of all the number reported by these two apps. Does someone have a guide to the exact meanings?

Wow, wow, wow. You're in a far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far milder climate than I am I suppose.
I have a featherlike right foot. I use the vehicle on easy running roads. I abhor the friction brakes. The car is always garaged for the whole of January and February whilst I snowbird.

I was unaware that these figures were in anyway remarkable. The 5 year average consumption reported by the car was 4.6 miles / kwH. Is that in line with the range numbers?

I have a featherlike right foot. I use the vehicle on easy running roads. I abhor the friction brakes. The car is always garaged for the whole of January and February whilst I snowbird.

I was unaware that these figures were in anyway remarkable. The 5 year average consumption reported by the car was 4.6 miles / kwH. Is that in line with the range numbers?
My own '17 94ah REx, still with fewer than 30k miles on the odo, also gives me 4.6 miles/kWh (which I attribute to gentle one-pedal driving), but only shows maximum e-range of around 100 miles (sometimes less) in winter, and can be over 150 miles during the warmest weather. Maybe, since you're snowbirding during the cold season, you never see the low ranges. Your 125 to 140+ range is a surprise.

I cannot find good explanations of all the number reported by these two apps. Does someone have a guide to the exact meanings?
Yes, there are some values that I don't understand, and I haven't been able to find explanations. I asked the mi3 developer about this, but he's just displaying what the BMS is providing and doesn't have any explanations. Maybe ISTA includes some explanations. Some day, I'll search ISTA.

Note that the mi3 app displays averages by default. One must click the triangles to the right of the descriptions to see minimum and maximum values which can be very helpful.

The 5 year average consumption reported by the car was 4.6 miles / kwH. Is that in line with the range numbers?
The consumption rate depends on many factors like temperature, speed, tire inflation pressure, etc. Living in our ideal EV environment (low average speeds, no temperature extremes, most driving under ACC control, few road elevation changes), our former 2014 and current 2019 i3 BEV's have averaged ~5.5 mi/kWh over almost 10 years. I realize that this is unusual, but our driving environment is unusual as well.

Back