Artificial Noise on 2021 i3

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After consulting with this site's administrator, and in keeping with this site's Terms of Service, I have deleted the post describing how to defeat the pedestrian acoustic warning.

The applicable portion of the TOS reads:

"You agree to not use the Service to submit or link to any Content which is defamatory, abusive, hateful, threatening, spam or spam-like, likely to offend, contains adult or objectionable content, contains personal information of others, risks copyright infringement, encourages unlawful activity, or otherwise violates any laws. You are entirely responsible for the content of, and any harm resulting from, that Content or your conduct.​
"We may remove or modify any Content submitted at any time, with or without cause, with or without notice. Requests for Content to be removed or modified will be undertaken only at our discretion. We may terminate your access to all or any part of the Service at any time, with or without cause, with or without notice."​

This site has never been heavy handed in moderation, and I have no intention of closing this thread or muting the discussion around this topic (site admin may see this differently). However the site will not host this content and will not provide links to these instructions.

For what it's worth, private parking lots are exempt from vehicle requirement enforcement that does not directly put others at risk. Having the option to disable still seems reasonable and lawful in that context in the US at least.

IMHO, reasonable? and lawful does not mean that someone should do it. Also, many commercial (private) parking lots ARE subject to vehicle law enforcement.
This is specific to equipment. Obviously, other laws apply. E.g., *my understanding* is that police cannot come onto private property and start citing everybody with a flat tire or broken mirror either.

The reasonableness of it applies to situations like housing complexes and driveways while trying not to disturb neighbors or whatever - though I cannot fathom the overwhelming majority of people making a case over that.

IMHO in parking lots, that's exactly where we're most likely to encounter distracted pedestrians and kids playing / running out / etc.

It doesn't matter to them one bit whether it's private property or a public thoroughfare.

And again, IF a motivated personal injury attorney noticed, "Oh, it's an EV" and found the acoustic system had been modified, it would probably be an easy win.

The reasonableness of it applies to situations like housing complexes and driveways while trying not to disturb neighbors or whatever
One other point - specifically about the "wailing ghost" noise generated by an i3 - is that the noises are actually pretty quiet and unobtrusive. If you compare them with the (IMO slightly excessive) reversing warnings used by some of the Korean manufacturers, they really aren't a big deal.

I know some people despise the i3's warning sound, but I've always quite liked it...

If you compare them with the (IMO slightly excessive) reversing warnings used by some of the Korean manufacturers, they really aren't a big deal.
I live in an EV heavy neighborhood. Probably more that 50% make noises and they pass mostly unnoticed. I usually hear my wife parking in her ID.4, and she says the same about my i3. There was a Kona two doors down those reverse beeper was grating. My nextdoor neighbor's Polestar is similar, but an order of magnitude more pleasant.

Annoying sounds? The motorcycle across the street and 3 doors down. My neighbor's mother who's Chevy honks when she unlocks it. The UPS vans that I can hear a block away. The Amazon delivery driver with his bass thumping. Just about any car driving a bit too fast for our narrow residential street.

Annoying sounds? The motorcycle across the street and 3 doors down. My neighbor's mother who's Chevy honks when she unlocks it. The UPS vans that I can hear a block away. The Amazon delivery driver with his bass thumping. Just about any car driving a bit too fast for our narrow residential street.
It alarms the kids that I spend enough time in my home office that I can tell that the approaching delivery vehicle is UPS, FedEx or Amazon by sound before it passes the window.

But ya, there are far more obnoxious vehicle sounds that the wibble-wobble of the EV warning. (Lookin' at you, neighbor kid with the lowered Accord with the "fart blaster" muffler mod.)

Back