TeleService vs 3G?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwilson4web

When 3G went away, the app that let me do modest things with my BMW i3-REx went away. But I was surprised to find that "TeleService" appears to still work. I received a notice that some maintenance was needed for my EV.

How? Specifically, without 3G cell service, how does the car communicate?

Thanks,
Bob Wilson

Might this notification have resulted from BMW's servers knowing that time-based maintenance was due based on your i3's in-service date?

How? Specifically, without 3G cell service, how does the car communicate?
I guess you can still receive SMS (TEXT) messages from BMW despite no 3G full cell service. Maybe that SMS part of the 3G protocol still works on higher protocols? I don't know. My car sometimes displays a symbol in the screen, and via iDrive menu, you can read the the message from BMW despite 3G having been phased out.

I believe it's not a simple situation, because it varies a lot depending on where you are. In (most of) Europe, the 2G network has been retained and SMS can continue to be carried over that. But - as I understand it - in the US the 2G network was decommissioned, so there is no older network for it to fall back onto.

Back