2019 i3s AC Compressor Failure, $4k+, Extremely Disappointed

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UPGR8D

After over a year of searching for the right i3, I found one perfectly spec'd but just out of warranty. The AC compressor has died in just under a year of ownership. The dealership, Rallye BMW in Jericho, NY, has texted me that the cost to replace it is $4k+. The only warning sign I had was a loud whirring, almost mooing (cow-like) sound.

I am beyond disappointed in the car and the dealership's handling. Has anyone had an independent shop fix this for less? I would love recommendations in Long Island, NY. Any other advice is appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_9121.jpg
    IMG_9121.jpg
    6.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2610.jpg
    IMG_2610.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 7
If an independent BMW mechanic is in your area, ask them for a repair quote.

I have read that some i3 owners have had remanufactured compressors installed for a significant cost savings. I would try to verify the quality of these manufactured compressors, however.

Give these guys a call and see if their price is any better

Given the condition of your vehicle I'm not sure how much less you can expect for the repair. Good luck. Love your color combo I hope you get things sorted. Please give us an update?

Last edited:
After over a year of searching for the right i3, I found one perfectly spec'd but just out of warranty. The AC compressor has died in just under a year of ownership. The dealership, Rallye BMW in Jericho, NY, has texted me that the cost to replace it is $4k+. The only warning sign I had was a loud whirring, almost mooing (cow-like) sound.

I am beyond disappointed in the car and the dealership's handling. Has anyone had an independent shop fix this for less? I would love recommendations in Long Island, NY. Any other advice is appreciated.
I spent too many years as an editor, so forgive me, but if their mechanical abilities are in any way comparable to their command of the English language, I would stay well clear of them.

I imagine this is a very rare failure among later model year i3's

I want to let everyone know that NY is a CARB state, and therefore, my AC compressor is covered for 150k miles and 15 years. Case closed, Zero out-of-pocket. Shame on Rallye BMW for trying to charge me $4k, knowing the law. Shame on BMW NA for telling me it's not covered.

I want to let everyone know that NY is a CARB state, and therefore, my AC compressor is covered for 150k miles and 15 years. Case closed, Zero out-of-pocket. Shame on Rallye BMW for trying to charge me $4k, knowing the law. Shame on BMW NA for telling me it's not covered.
Great to hear! it's even in your owner's manual. So how did you get the dealer to accept responsibility? I live in a CARB state as well.

The rest of us need to know :(

Rallye BMW and BMW North America did not accept responsibility until I showed them the paperwork in my owner's manual stating that NY was included. Pages 17 and 21 of the attached are the "smoking gun" I needed. Some people on Reddit call me out, saying I'm not cutting the dealer enough slack. I disagree. It's a huge dealer, and they should know the laws. I contacted BMW North America before knowing the law, and after a week they came back saying they could not help me either. Shame on BMW NA. These are fantastic cars, don't let this experience discourage anyone from buying, ESP IN A CARB STATE.

Attachments

• 2019-BMW-i3-NewVehicle-Limited-Warranty.pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 7
Rallye BMW and BMW North America did not accept responsibility until I showed them the paperwork in my owner's manual stating that NY was included. Pages 17 and 21 of the attached are the "smoking gun" I needed. Some people on Reddit call me out, saying I'm not cutting the dealer enough slack. I disagree. It's a huge dealer, and they should know the laws. I contacted BMW North America before knowing the law, and after a week they came back saying they could not help me either. Shame on BMW NA. These are fantastic cars, don't let this experience discourage anyone from buying, ESP IN A CARB STATE.
thanks for the PDF. I did know about it when I leased my first BMW i3 in 2018. I have not brought it up to anyone in my dealership because so far, I have not had to discuss it with them.

Glad you got it sorted. They know nothing about our vehicles let alone something in the manual. Now they will know. Can you please report back when everything is fixed?

Also, it looks like if you have a REX in a carb state it gets the full 15 year 150,000 mile warranty on many more components compared to the BEV version beyond the components associated with the REX.

Lito

Last edited:
From what I know regarding AC's. BMW i3 is all ok with them (unlike Volvo V60 plug-in, probably V90 too), but need to service them in service centers which know the difference of oil usage between ICE compressors and hybrid/EV compressors, as these ones need to use special anti electrostatic oil - failing to do so will end up in burnt compressor and most likely clogged AC system. To resolve an issue changing AC is not enough - AC system need to be cleaned in order to remove all oil residue and other filth.

Bravo!

Hold the Stealership to the fire and also BMW N.A. “Knowledge is power” (backed up by the legal system)

My i3 REX vehicle was originally registered in California. (One of the qualifiers for additional CARB coverage)

Just a point of clarification, the CARB warranty goes to the original owner and each subsequent owner. From page 17 of the vehicle manual

BMW NA warrants to the original purchaser and each subsequent owner that the vehicle is:a. designed, built and equipped so as to conform with the applicable CaliforniaAir Resources Board emission standards.b. free from defects in materials and workmanship which cause any part thatcan affect emissions to fail to conform with applicable requirements or to faila California Smog Check test or EPA-approved short test for a period of3 years or 50,000 miles, whichever occurs first.c. free from defects in materials and workmanship in emission-related parts,which are contained in the California Emission Warranty Parts List on page21, for a period of 7 years or 70,000 miles, whichever occurs first.Coverage begins on the date of first retail sale or the date the vehicle is firstplaced into service as a sales demonstrator, Aftersales Mobility Program (AMP)Vehicle or company vehicle, whichever is earlier.

Just a point of clarification, the CARB warranty goes to the original owner and each subsequent owner. From page 17 of the vehicle manual

BMW NA warrants to the original purchaser and each subsequent owner that the vehicle is:a. designed, built and equipped so as to conform with the applicable CaliforniaAir Resources Board emission standards.b. free from defects in materials and workmanship which cause any part thatcan affect emissions to fail to conform with applicable requirements or to faila California Smog Check test or EPA-approved short test for a period of3 years or 50,000 miles, whichever occurs first.c. free from defects in materials and workmanship in emission-related parts,which are contained in the California Emission Warranty Parts List on page21, for a period of 7 years or 70,000 miles, whichever occurs first.Coverage begins on the date of first retail sale or the date the vehicle is firstplaced into service as a sales demonstrator, Aftersales Mobility Program (AMP)Vehicle or company vehicle, whichever is earlier.
I assume that all U.S. i3's conform to CARB emission standards, especially BEV's. Some REx's include a 10 yr/150k mi warranty on some components.

However, the 2019 i3 warranty states:

"The California Emission Control System Limited Warranty applies to all 2019 U.S.-specification BMW vehicles registered in California, Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont or Washington."

What's not clear to me is whether an i3 that was originally sold and registered in a CARB state but is now registered in a non-CARB state or an i3 that was originally sold and registered in a non-CARB state but is now registered in a CARB state would be covered under the CARB warranty.

I assume that all U.S. i3's conform to CARB emission standards, especially BEV's. Some REx's include a 10 yr/150k mi warranty on some components.

However, the 2019 i3 warranty states:

"The California Emission Control System Limited Warranty applies to all 2019 U.S.-specification BMW vehicles registered in California, Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont or Washington."

What's not clear to me is whether an i3 that was originally sold and registered in a CARB state but is now registered in a non-CARB state or an i3 that was originally sold and registered in a non-CARB state but is now registered in a CARB state would be covered under the CARB warranty.
yes, agreed. It does not specifically state that the vehicle has to originally be registered in a CARB state. I will contact CARB to see if I can get a clarification. If you ask BMW NA they will say no because it benefits them. But I will contact them today.

I pretty sure BMW cannot only warranty the vehicle in certain states and not others unless the vehicle is only sold in that state. Since the car can be sold in all states, the CARB warranty transfers. If this was not the case BMW would have written that into the warranty.

the REX warranty for CARB states is 15 year, 150K. There is a lot of discussion about registering a used car into a CARB state and having BMW honor that warranty.

L

Last edited:
Sorry to read about your distress OP. Just for the record, I recently bought a 2022 i3s with 18500 km on the clock. After a couple of weeks using a poor AC, I booked it in for a check. The compressor needed changing. Thankfully, the car is under warranty and there were no loose metal parts moving through the system. Still love the car. Though it is a bit worrying that the compressor failed after only 2 years.

Just read this elsewhere and thought I'd post:

"If enough i3 owners lodge complaints about the potential for a catastrophic battery thermal event due to untimely compressor failure, then the authorities will be forced to consider a recall which would be binding on BMW. The drivers need to scour through the repair/training manuals for the i3 (i01) which were leaked on the web to help build a consistent case in the form of a template, that everyone can copy and paste in their online complaints. Here's where to submit online for free - no lawyers needed:

US Consumer recall/potential recall complaints: NHTSA

UK recall complaints: DVSA UK GOV "

"If enough i3 owners lodge complaints about the potential for a catastrophic battery thermal event due to untimely compressor failure, then the authorities will be forced to consider a recall which would be binding on BMW.
I think it would be difficult to argue that a failed A/C compressor might lead to a catastrophic battery thermal event because an i3 automatically reduces the battery pack's power output when its temperature increases above a certain limit. Reduced power output would reduce battery pack heating. If it gets hot enough, its output power would probably be stopped so that further heating wouldn't occur.

So I don't think that a failed compressor is dangerous other than it could eventually leave one stranded. However, it's a poor design that a compressor that fails by imploding could total an i3 due to the high repair cost. Do A/C compressors implode regularly in other vehicles? Maybe the i3 compressor design is faulty or its quality, low.

Is there a good way of checking the state of health of the compressor, any symptoms noticable before failing or is it just a lottery? Periodic inspection by a A/C mechanic or preventive replacement after x years? Is there a working hours counter somewhere in the software to check for?

Is there a good way of checking the state of health of the compressor, any symptoms noticable before failing or is it just a lottery? Periodic inspection by a A/C mechanic or preventive replacement after x years? Is there a working hours counter somewhere in the software to check for?
Owners talk about hearing metallic grinding sound coming from the compressor.

Back