2019 i3s AC Compressor Failure, $4k+, Extremely Disappointed

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it gets hot enough, its output power would probably be stopped so that further heating wouldn't occur.
It does. After it's too overheated to proceed even in snail mode it then applies the brakes and tells you, among other things, to "secure the against from rolling". If you wait a little while, it might naturally cool off enough to proceed a little further. (At this point, it's best if you know the flattest route to the shop, if any . . .)

Is there a good way of checking the state of health of the compressor, any symptoms noticable before failing or is it just a lottery? Periodic inspection by a A/C mechanic or preventive replacement after x years? Is there a working hours counter somewhere in the software to check for?
Due to its mechanical design each and every compressor has a certain inner tear and wear. The manufacturer tries to limit this to a minimum, using the in his eyes best type and amount of oil.
As it is in the aviation industry, a cycle / operation hours counting, together with the removal of the assy for overhaul when reaching thresholds given by the manufacturer, would be the best. But who should pay this?
In the automotive use of a HVAC compressors like in the i3 ideas could be to limit the use of the AC to the absolute minimum. In addition drain, filter and refill the oil and refrigerant periodically, depending on the estimated use and price you are willing to pay for such a measure.
And as soon as you hear the slightest strange noise coming from the system, stop it by e. g. pulling the related c/b. This to have a chance that the compressor could be repaired economically.

Due to its mechanical design each and every compressor has a certain inner tear and wear. The manufacturer tries to limit this to a minimum, using the in his eyes best type and amount of oil.
As it is in the aviation industry, a cycle / operation hours counting, together with the removal of the assy for overhaul when reaching thresholds given by the manufacturer, would be the best. But who should pay this?
In the automotive use of a HVAC compressors like in the i3 ideas could be to limit the use of the AC to the absolute minimum. In addition drain, filter and refill the oil and refrigerant periodically, depending on the estimated use and price you are willing to pay for such a measure.
And as soon as you hear the slightest strange noise coming from the system, stop it by e. g. pulling the related c/b. This to have a chance that the compressor could be repaired economically.
I can't help thinking that the majority of them do not fail suddenly and catastrophically without showing other signs if people are tuned into them.
A pump that has started to go out may subtly increase in noise and start to lose efficiency, but only release small non-harmful particles into the system that can be flushed out, before it ultimately cascades into visible chip and channel clogging debris. I.e., the compressor will fail at some point, so there's little escaping that, but perhaps the other issues can be prevented by just paying close attention to when things start to seem off.

I sold my 2004 MINI Cooper S this month and bought my BMW 2021 i3S, and I fully expect it to be my last car due to infirmities that start to pile up as one passes the three quarter-century mark. I drove it for a bit over 20 years and enjoyed every mile. It was optioned to my specifications, including navigation, sport suspension, seating, the lovely six-speed, etc. I noticed when I signed over the title that the make was shown as BMW, not MINI. And, of course, it was full of parts from BMW. The Navigation system was the BMW system of the period, and when MINI stopped providing map updates in about 2012, I was able to use the 2 DVD North America map upgrade set of discs from BMW, with the last being in 2015.

All that is to say is that I am well aware of the prices of BMW parts. One of the most expensive parts was the Navigation computer box, which I replaced a few years ago. But I dotted every i and crossed every t as far as preventive care was concerned, and over 20 years, the AC compressor ran perfectly. It only needed a recharge and a new filter/dryer at the 18-year-old point.

The little 1.6l supercharged engine never needed a pint of oil between changes at about every 5,000 miles or so. And with the JC Works kit, it provided 205 HP.

All of that is to say that the compressor problems I hear about on the forum here concern me. Are the compressors having problems with the 2020 and 2021 i3s as well?

Owners talk about hearing metallic grinding sound coming from the compressor.
I took our 2021 i3 to our BMW dealer for its annual state safety inspection (what a waste of time!). A 2016 i3 was in the service queue ahead of ours. While I was checking in, a mechanic started the 2016 i3 to drive it into the shop. A loud howling noise began emanating from the rear of the car, like a really bad bearing. I asked its owner in the waiting area whether her A/C compressor was failing. She told me that the compressor had been replaced 3 years ago but the replacement was now failing. Unfortunately, her 3-year-old compressor was no longer under warranty, so she was going to have to pay for a 2nd compressor. She told me that it was still producing cold air normally, so I doubt that it had imploded and that maybe only a bearing had failed, so the repair cost of just replacing the compressor wouldn't total her i3.

Nevertheless, it is disappointing that i3 A/C compressors seem to be failing much more often than normal. Presumably, the compressor installed in her i3 in 2021 was one of the more recent versions, yet it still failed. It might have been even the same version as the original compressor that's still in our 2021 i3. Having owned a new 2014, used 2019, and now a used 2021 i3 over almost 10 years without having had any A/C compressor failure, I assume that the failure rate is relatively low, but that imploding failures are so catastrophic that we all learn about them.

I can't help thinking that the majority of them do not fail suddenly and catastrophically without showing other signs if people are tuned into them.
A pump that has started to go out may subtly increase in noise and start to lose efficiency, but only release small non-harmful particles into the system that can be flushed out, before it ultimately cascades into visible chip and channel clogging debris. I.e., the compressor will fail at some point, so there's little escaping that, but perhaps the other issues can be prevented by just paying close attention to when things start to seem off.
exactly, mine def started to make a noise during preconditioning - replaced it at BMW £ 1.2k 4 years old, 80k miles

I sold my 2004 MINI Cooper S this month and bought my BMW 2021 i3S, and I fully expect it to be my last car due to infirmities that start to pile up as one passes the three quarter-century mark. I drove it for a bit over 20 years and enjoyed every mile. It was optioned to my specifications, including navigation, sport suspension, seating, the lovely six-speed, etc. I noticed when I signed over the title that the make was shown as BMW, not MINI. And, of course, it was full of parts from BMW. The Navigation system was the BMW system of the period, and when MINI stopped providing map updates in about 2012, I was able to use the 2 DVD North America map upgrade set of discs from BMW, with the last being in 2015.

All that is to say is that I am well aware of the prices of BMW parts. One of the most expensive parts was the Navigation computer box, which I replaced a few years ago. But I dotted every i and crossed every t as far as preventive care was concerned, and over 20 years, the AC compressor ran perfectly. It only needed a recharge and a new filter/dryer at the 18-year-old point.

The little 1.6l supercharged engine never needed a pint of oil between changes at about every 5,000 miles or so. And with the JC Works kit, it provided 205 HP.

All of that is to say that the compressor problems I hear about on the forum here concern me. Are the compressors having problems with the 2020 and 2021 i3s as well?
we have to remember it is ONLY modern EV's that use the compressor 24/7 as part of the battery thermal management, on combustion engine we only use our compressor when we turn AC on in the hotter months, the wear & tear is completley different!

That is not true, the compressor in our i3's only work when needed. In colder to moderate climates, it may work only occasionally. Of course the use will be higher in warmer climates.
This isn't true - it doesn’t only work when the car needs it. It also works if you set your departure time in the myBMW app or in the car, and also everytime you plug into charge at a DC Charger. This equals much more compressor usage than a combustion only vehicle across a typical year.

I think it would be difficult to argue that a failed A/C compressor might lead to a catastrophic battery thermal event because an i3 automatically reduces the battery pack's power output when its temperature increases above a certain limit. Reduced power output would reduce battery pack heating. If it gets hot enough, its output power would probably be stopped so that further heating wouldn't occur.

So I don't think that a failed compressor is dangerous other than it could eventually leave one stranded. However, it's a poor design that a compressor that fails by imploding could total an i3 due to the high repair cost. Do A/C compressors implode regularly in other vehicles? Maybe the i3 compressor design is faulty or its quality, low.
..Automatically reduces battery pack output, if all systems are functioning as per normal. If not, a plausible risk exists, and that is all that NHTSA and equivalent bodies around the world care about when all is said and done with regards to potential recalls.

..Automatically reduces battery pack output, if all systems are functioning as per normal. If not, a plausible risk exists, and that is all that NHTSA and equivalent bodies around the world care about when all is said and done with regards to potential recalls.
There must not have been enough i3 battery pack fires for these regulatory agencies to be concerned because no related recalls have been issued. In ~10 years of active participation in several online i3 forums and groups, I have never read about an i3 fire that started in the battery pack. The only i3 fires have been caused by REx engine gasoline or oil leaks. So the system that prevents dangerous i3 battery pack overheating must be working well despite what seems to be too many A/C compressor failures.

I took our 2021 i3 to our BMW dealer for its annual state safety inspection (what a waste of time!). A 2016 i3 was in the service queue ahead of ours. While I was checking in, a mechanic started the 2016 i3 to drive it into the shop. A loud howling noise began emanating from the rear of the car, like a really bad bearing. I asked its owner in the waiting area whether her A/C compressor was failing. She told me that the compressor had been replaced 3 years ago but the replacement was now failing. Unfortunately, her 3-year-old compressor was no longer under warranty, so she was going to have to pay for a 2nd compressor. She told me that it was still producing cold air normally, so I doubt that it had imploded and that maybe only a bearing had failed, so the repair cost of just replacing the compressor wouldn't total her i3.

Nevertheless, it is disappointing that i3 A/C compressors seem to be failing much more often than normal. Presumably, the compressor installed in her i3 in 2021 was one of the more recent versions, yet it still failed. It might have been even the same version as the original compressor that's still in our 2021 i3. Having owned a new 2014, used 2019, and now a used 2021 i3 over almost 10 years without having had any A/C compressor failure, I assume that the failure rate is relatively low, but that imploding failures are so catastrophic that we all learn about them.

Any AC compressor is the same. Evac. Remove and replace. Vacuum. Charge.

Not sure about the specific freon in our cars as never looked into it.

Any AC compressor is the same. Evac. Remove and replace. Vacuum. Charge.

Not sure about the specific freon in our cars as never looked into it.
There's a sticker with the type and quantity of refrigerant and refrigerant oil on it underneath the front hood. Typically from arround 2015 onwards it's the (expensive) R1234yF refrigerant, together with the (very expensive) Sanden SP-A2 compressor oil. All use or mixing with the former PAG ISO-46 oil (which was used in combination with the R-134a refrigerant) is forbidden.

I have a 2018 530e and am going through the same nightmare.
It has had 2 compressors in 40k miles. One with me and one with the previous owner. Two weeks after the compressor the evaporator failed.
BMW covered some of that expense so I'm out 6k instead of 11k.
My concern is that it still does not have a trap and they do not wash or replace the lines.
Now I have a hv battery short code for one of the cells.
Looking at another 20k or leave it as is. My opinion is that the lack of cleanliness lead to the second compressor failure, evaporator failure d the hv failure HV due to continuous overheating of the cells.
To me this looks like the making of a class action law suit for negligence.
Looking like my second and last BMW.
Shame because my previous 2008 535 was trouble free for 14 years.

Only reason I continue to like these cars is the CARB warranty. Of course nothing is really taken for granted hearing all the cases where BMW puts up a fight. Luckily I've found a very good and knowledgeable repair shop if I ever need out of warranty work.

Back