Comparison of my I3s to my new Polestar 2 - A Few Days In

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"As an experiment, I've been driving my 60Ah BEV like Tim Conway's "The Oldest Man" walked, not using AC at all, and only operating in ECO+ mode, ringing up all 10 stars in the Driving Analysis within 15 minutes of leaving home ... and I can *barely* crack 5.4m/kWh."

I just realized a typo in the post above. I meant to put 6.4m/kWh ... not 5.4

Over the past 200+ miles it's hovering just above 6 ...

I just realized a typo in the post above. I meant to put 6.4m/kWh ... not 5.4

Over the past 200+ miles it's hovering just above 6 ...
That's truly excellent efficiency! I thought my 5.5 mi/kWh average over almost 10 years was pretty good. I never drive over 65 mph and only rarely over 55 mph. I never experience extreme ambient temperatures, so my climate control usage is minimal. I also run 7 psi over the recommended tire inflation pressures. I always drive in Eco Pro with the Comfort climate control option rather than Eco Pro+ almost always under adaptive cruise control which accelerates very leisurely.

I did a bit of digging, and the best I could do was find folks who said he was genuine and a driver in the Mobil Economy Run during the 30s and 40s who wrote a light-hearted column in Car and Driver during the late 1960s and others who say he was just a maid-up character by the editors of Car and Driver magazine.

"Yes! Loyd "Balloon Foot" Bodine was the most famous driver of the infamous Mobil Economy Run, held some 50 years ago!
It was said that Loyd drove like he had a "balloon" under his driving foot when he won so many economy runs.......".

"I don't think he existed. He was a made-up character by the staff at Car and Driver. They used to do many things like that in the '60s. They had ridiculous interviews with Bodine that were a hoot.
They had a fictitious British car called the Denbeigh Super Chauvinist, complete with fake road tests from British magazines. Funny stuff."
The absence of his name in this detailed account of the run suggests that he was fictitious and, at best, an amalgamation of many of the drivers who told their stories, and took part in it over its 30 years history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobil_Economy_Run
it was Held from 1936 to 1968, except during WW2

Thanks for all the intel, but I have a hard time believing that the Poledancer is getting better per mile effienceny that an i3.

Since I returned from my 3,000 mile slow-mo romp around the Eastern Seaboard I've been trying to see how high I can get my average. As an experiment, I've been driving my 60Ah BEV like Tim Conway's "The Oldest Man" walked, not using AC at all, and only operating in ECO+ mode, ringing up all 10 stars in the Driving Analysis within 15 minutes of leaving home ... and I can *barely* crack 5.4m/kWh.

If my math is correct 17.2 kWh/100m = 5.8m/kWh ... I would think 2.8 is more in keeping with a real-world average. I'd be interested to hear an update from your driving after you reset the trip computer.
Just an FYI ...508 miles later and I've been averaging 25 mph and 3.6 mi/kWh.

In one of the magazines of my youth, there were references to a somewhat mythic early hypermiler of the first half of the 20th century: one Loyd ”balloon foot” Bodeen (that is from a roughly 65 to 70 year old memory so I don't attach too much accuracy to its rendition here). One thing. I do recall was his method of induction new acolytes to his craft. He would place a raw egg between the foot and the acceleration peddle of his student. Now I don't recall what penalties were awarded should the egg be cracked while honing these skills but I imagine the state of most roads during the the pre-WW2 period and the need to shift the three on the tree and manhandle the rather agricultural suspensions and non-power steering of the cars of the era whilst keeping the egg uncracked could not have been an easy task. With the advent of fuel rationing in WW2 his skills took on the aspect of something that most would aspire to.
Henry N. Manney III if I recall correctly

Back