Stopped lurking, and did a purchase ROAD TRIP!

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilance

I’ve been dreaming of the day I could justify an i3 in my life (too many things to tow)……..

This one, I could no longer pass up. “Bobbi Blue” followed me home, and I am totally in love with this car!

I bought her about 1300mi from my home, on faith. I drove to get her, and turned around to drive home.

I only meant to dip my toe into the roadtrip, but once I started out, I found I couldn’t stop. So, about 16hrs of driving later, she rolled into her new home.

I coded HSOC before I started. I learned a LOT really fast! But, range anxiety just wasn’t a thing. I was nervous until I got the REX started, and figured out it really worked…….then, it was really easy.

I ended up spending about $150 on fuel, and a couple fast charges. I carried a 2gal can in the frunk as a security blanket (never needed it).

I can honestly say I have never driven a car that has impressed me more. We took the Grapevine on I5 at 80……..and had fully recovered all charge by the bottom.

I got so comfortable that I got a bit loose with shepherding my battery power, and got more interested in testing what it could do.

Bobbi was only a city car for her first 21,000mi……..and her REX (“Luther”) was little used. After a few hundred gentle miles, I found I could stop about every couple hours and just grab a couple gallons and go.

I’d charge it if I found a good charger around, or just let Luther get back to the start point before gassing (never took more than a couple minutes).

We set speed between 68-85, depending on where we were, and the SOC. Bobbi was meant as a city car……but road tripping is a hoot!

Attachments

• IMG_0746.jpeg
    IMG_0746.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
Congrats. What better way to start an i3 ownership adventure than with a road trip!

Love the 'Luther' bit, lol. My trip back home was only 200 miles but like you, I loved the journey back home. I think it's a fantastic little car and I thank you for sharing your first memories of Bobbi Blue with us.

Congrats! That's a beautiful blue, I wasn't aware the facelifted ones ever had that colour. Enjoy the car, they are addictive.

My Bitsy is a twin to your girl. I am loving her, but haven't had her on a long enough road trip yet to require fueling. You have given me confidence to do so!

I’ve been dreaming of the day I could justify an i3 in my life (too many things to tow)……..

This one, I could no longer pass up. “Bobbi Blue” followed me home, and I am totally in love with this car!

I bought her about 1300mi from my home, on faith. I drove to get her, and turned around to drive home.

I only meant to dip my toe into the roadtrip, but once I started out, I found I couldn’t stop. So, about 16hrs of driving later, she rolled into her new home.

I coded HSOC before I started. I learned a LOT really fast! But, range anxiety just wasn’t a thing. I was nervous until I got the REX started, and figured out it really worked…….then, it was really easy.

I ended up spending about $150 on fuel, and a couple fast charges. I carried a 2gal can in the frunk as a security blanket (never needed it).

I can honestly say I have never driven a car that has impressed me more. We took the Grapevine on I5 at 80……..and had fully recovered all charge by the bottom.

I got so comfortable that I got a bit loose with shepherding my battery power, and got more interested in testing what it could do.

Bobbi was only a city car for her first 21,000mi……..and her REX (“Luther”) was little used. After a few hundred gentle miles, I found I could stop about every couple hours and just grab a couple gallons and go.

I’d charge it if I found a good charger around, or just let Luther get back to the start point before gassing (never took more than a couple minutes).

We set speed between 68-85, depending on where we were, and the SOC. Bobbi was meant as a city car……but road tripping is a hoot!
I love that blue. My 2nd I-3 was that blue with a sunroof. I miss the sunroof just for the ventilation aspect.
I had to turn in my blue I-3 lease about the time BMW stopped production. I almost went back to a ICE car, but I found my third I-3s on eBay motors. She is a white beauty with only 7000mi. After minimal negotiations on the phone I Ubered my way up to San Fernando Valley and picked her up. I only had about 50 miles to drive home so it wasn’t long distance and I have become very accustomed to, the Electric and REX. One thing that I have not done with any I-3 is drive in the mountains. I suppose I shouldn’t worry about it and just go.
Enjoy that beautiful blue beauty!

I love that blue. My 2nd I-3 was that blue with a sunroof. I miss the sunroof just for the ventilation aspect.
I had to turn in my blue I-3 lease about the time BMW stopped production. I almost went back to a ICE car, but I found my third I-3s on eBay motors. She is a white beauty with only 7000mi. After minimal negotiations on the phone I Ubered my way up to San Fernando Valley and picked her up. I only had about 50 miles to drive home so it wasn’t long distance and I have become very accustomed to, the Electric and REX. One thing that I have not done with any I-3 is drive in the mountains. I suppose I shouldn’t worry about it and just go.
Enjoy that beautiful blue beauty!
Yes, the beauty of an EV in the mountains is that you’ll increase your range once you go downhill :)

Back