Tire Time - Alternate Tires for i3s 20 inch wheels

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Otto

My 2018 i3s Rex rear tires are getting close to the bone and I've read about using alternate sizes from the 195/50R20 speced by BMW, with 215/45R20 fitting well, and 195/55R20 being a nicer ride and can even be run nicely on all 4 wheels even though the rims are of different widths.

Chatbot Gemini AI has told me that "The Vredestein 215/45R20 tire size is compatible with the 2018 BMW i3s Rex. This is a popular choice for this model and offers good performance, handling, and comfort."

When I asked Gemini about Michelins, which are my favorite tires, it responded with, "Yes, there are Michelin tires compatible with the BMW i3s rear tire. The recommended tire size for the rear of the BMW i3s is 215/45R20."

I just use my i3s as an 'around town car' and only drive locally. I don't race and push the car, so do I need such highly speced tires? I'd like a tire with better mileage (20K miles is absurd) and a softer ride since my i3s has a stiff suspension by it's nature.

I'm interested in your experience with using alternate tire brands and sizes for your i3S and what you'd buy next time around.

I could not find any Michelin CrossClimate2 in 195/55R20 online except in England, which would have been my all time favorite rear tire. With shipping they would cost about $500 to get to Florida, and then what recourse would I have if they sent old or defective tires? The CrossClimate2 in 215/45R20 could not be found in the US. The Vredestein 215/45R20 disappeared while I waffled, and it is a 2nd tier brand anyway. So I gave in and got the recommended Bridgestone Ecopia's 195/50R20 at a decent price of $227/tire from Tire Rack. The pair, plus taxes and installation will cost me about $542 out the door. Even Amazon want's $299/tire, so the TR price of $227 seemed compelling.

Back