Software update - unable to set low-cost charging

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello.
(sorry, i speak very bad english, so, the following is google translate)

I'm sorry to bring up this rather old thread.
I do not own a bmwi3, but a mini (which is its clone).
I'm having exactly the same problem. The charge during off-peak hours systematically returns immediately.
I made a little youtube video:
I was wondering if it was possible to modify the setting explained by briantompo “charge management teach settings” with bimmercode rather than going to a dealership?
My dealer has no slots available and has already warned me that the repair costs would be high (which annoys me a little since it's an old bug on BMWs and Minis)
Thank you in advance for your answers

The simplest way I do this is to have the charging on all the times from the BMW software. Then it's controlled by the socket where it's plugged in. Thus whenever the socket is on... charging happens.

Hello. Thank you for your feedback.

I haven't had any problems for years either with the software on my phone or in the car.

I am disappointed that overnight it no longer works.
Having off peak electric pricing, charging when I plug in the car represents an inconsistency from my point of view.
Best regards

You could of course use an intelligent tariff, such as Octopus Intelligent Go. Vast majority of the time it controls the charging for me, and always at 7.5p/kwhrs. It uses the BMW API to control when your car charges. So even though the tariff has a fixed 6hr window (23:30-05:30), if the tariff decides to it will charge your car outside that window as well. I've often seen my car start charging by 22:30, or even as late as 08:00 in the morning. Easily controlled via the app where you choose level of charge required, and when you need the car by.
See the tariff details at this link (UK only), and if you like it and join, we'll both get a £50 bonus you can use towards charging costs.
See the tariff details at this link;-

Use this link to sign up to Octopus - https://share.octopus.energy/linen-hill-951

Hello Clanduncan . I don't leave in Uk but in france.
If I have to install a smart charging station, I have the necessary home automation to control it.
So i don't need octopus intelligent go.
My wish is not to spend more money on an installation because the one I have corresponds to my needs

Hello Clanduncan . I don't leave in Uk but in france.
If I have to install a smart charging station, I have the necessary home automation to control it.
So i don't need octopus intelligent go.
My wish is not to spend more money on an installation because the one I have corresponds to my needs
Hi, the OIG tariff doesn't use any extra gear at all, however it's UK only as you know. I've found that even if I manually set a short charging window in the car (e.g. just 3hrs instead of 4 or 5 to fully recharge) that the car ignores this and fully charges anyway. That just seems to be a BMW thing....😵‍💫
Good luck finding your solution.

Hello.
Following your message, I looked at Octopus a little more.
If I understood correctly, Octopus Intelligent Go speaks with the BMW API to control the car?
If this is indeed the case, this could (unfortunately) not be a solution because the BMW API (also used at Mini) does not work for me (only for charge, all other Api commands work correctly)
For the charge command, the API accepts commands, sends them to the car, but, my car rejects them :(

I think the dealer solution is the only solution

Latest posts

Back