i3's automatic parking function efficiency

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuckyEV2023

Hi, guys!

How efficient is i3's automatic parking function? I have been owning the car for a while now, but I am still afraid of using it. Do you have any experiences with it, good or bad?

I once posted about this and got a bunch of replies that I'm an idiot for not being able to park a car this small by myself. SMH. I love the "gee whiz" George Jetson aspect of it. Same reason I got the TJA (auto steer) module from PremiumRetrofit to unlock that feature in my US model (where it is blocked).

In answer to your question, it takes a little bit of practice to figure out the exact dance it wants in order: button, turn signal, brake, hold button, release break. That said, it has easily parked in spots that I'd normally avoid because they were too small. I live in a large city with extremely limited parking availability, so that has been nice.

Once last week, it got halfway through a parking operation in a very tight spot and decided that it didn't like the spot after all. It indicated that it was aborting and to find another spot.

Bottom line: I think its great -- no issues.

How efficient is i3's automatic parking function? I have been owning the car for a while now, but I am still afraid of using it. Do you have any experiences with it, good or bad?
It's very slow. If there's traffic behind waiting for you to park, they would have to be very patient.

If you insist on using it, find a good local alloy wheel repair shop because you would almost certainly need to repair wheels that are dragged along a curb while parking.

Back