i3's automatic parking function efficiency

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuckyEV2023

Hi, guys!

How efficient is i3's automatic parking function? I have been owning the car for a while now, but I am still afraid of using it. Do you have any experiences with it, good or bad?

I once posted about this and got a bunch of replies that I'm an idiot for not being able to park a car this small by myself. SMH. I love the "gee whiz" George Jetson aspect of it. Same reason I got the TJA (auto steer) module from PremiumRetrofit to unlock that feature in my US model (where it is blocked).

In answer to your question, it takes a little bit of practice to figure out the exact dance it wants in order: button, turn signal, brake, hold button, release break. That said, it has easily parked in spots that I'd normally avoid because they were too small. I live in a large city with extremely limited parking availability, so that has been nice.

Once last week, it got halfway through a parking operation in a very tight spot and decided that it didn't like the spot after all. It indicated that it was aborting and to find another spot.

Bottom line: I think its great -- no issues.

Back