How can I reattach this door?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Always a difficult question to answer, because you know your own mechanical abilities and we don't.

Superficially it should be relatively easy, because the panels are held on by clips, and these can easily be bought at a BMW dealer as replacement parts.

However, the factor that we don't know is how the damage was caused. It may have been simply bad handling during a previous repair and the clips have been broken, or it might be the result of accident damage, and the mounting points for the clips on the panel have been damaged - which would make things more complicated and might (in theory) mean a new door panel.

If you're going to do the job properly, I don't think there's any doubt that you should be removing the entire panel, so that you can get a chance to look at the state of all of the clips, and replace all of them that need replacing.

Always a difficult question to answer, because you know your own mechanical abilities and we don't.

Superficially it should be relatively easy, because the panels are held on by clips, and these can easily be bought at a BMW dealer as replacement parts.

However, the factor that we don't know is how the damage was caused. It may have been simply bad handling during a previous repair and the clips have been broken, or it might be the result of accident damage, and the mounting points for the clips on the panel have been damaged - which would make things more complicated and might (in theory) mean a new door panel.

If you're going to do the job properly, I don't think there's any doubt that you should be removing the entire panel, so that you can get a chance to look at the state of all of the clips, and replace all of them that need replacing.
I see... One of my kid pulled the door when the car parked near a high sidewalk. Probably it needs to be mounted by someone who has mechanical ability that you said :)

look at the inside part of the panel See if you can find a post or stud inside a hole. That might be the problem. If you see one, it just needs to be reattached to the door skin and reapplied.
Thank you for answer. I couldn't see any post or stud inside a hole. So this is a good news 😉

link above shows you have to remove all the panels and lets you see under them. In your case there may be a plastic stud that got broken when the door skin pulled away, you may need to get the broken bits out before putting a new stud in, anyway watch the video will give you a good idea if you are up to it

Sorry to jump on the topic but I have a question around this - is it possible to remove the black clips from the white plastic thingies without breaking them? I haven't managed it yet and I'm getting tired of buying clips! Thanks.

Sorry to jump on the topic but I have a question around this - is it possible to remove the black clips from the white plastic thingies without breaking them? I haven't managed it yet and I'm getting tired of buying clips! Thanks.
Yes, you have to take a round tube, the same diameter from the back and push all three tabs in at the same time. This will release the black stud
1721243596447.jpeg
1721243625863.jpeg

Last edited:
Yes, you have to take a round tube, the same diameter from the back and push all three tabs in at the same time. This will release the black stud
View attachment 1119
View attachment 1120

You know, that's exactly what I was thinking would do the job. Now to find such a tube.....

I'm assuming you have to remove the white plastic bit to do that as it would need to be from behind?

You know, that's exactly what I was thinking would do the job. Now to find such a tube.....

I'm assuming you have to remove the white plastic bit to do that as it would need to be from behind?
If you're referring to the white adjustment sprocket, then no. you can access the stud from behind without unscrewing it from the larger white piece. If you want to remove or unscrew it you can and then move the part to a bench for easier access.

I have a brass tube with the right outer and inner diameter which removes the stud

Back