Rattle driver side dash

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter Truong

In my research I have only seen glove box rattles addressed. I have been bothered by a dashboard rattle on the driver side by the door. It is alleviated by pressure on the rubber molding on the outside of the air vent.
Has anyone dealt with that? How can I remove the rubber molding next to the air vent on the driver side?

Attachments

• IMG_8529.jpeg
    IMG_8529.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
The air vent itself can rattle where it touches the molding to its left. It would be easy to remove the vent, attach something soft to its left edge, reinstall it, and learn whether that eliminates the rattle.

The air vent itself can rattle where it touches the molding to its left. It would be easy to remove the vent, attach something soft to its left edge, reinstall it, and learn whether that eliminates the rattle.
How do I remove the vent?

Found the source of the rattle: the little panel that holds the control for the front lights. Took care of it by using foam on the clips and between it and the panel below.
There was still some rattling after this although much improved. I found that I can reproduce it by stomping my left foot on the floor by the door. I thus isolated it to a rectangular panel just in front of the plastic cover for the knee air bag next to the button that opens the gas cap. Some foam there took care of it.

The plastic under the steering column is a good source for rattles....especially over harsh roads.

Back