Hard drive with all of my music

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chucki3

I put a lot of music on my iPhone and selected Apple Car Play on the i3. It automatically plays via Bluetooth when I start the car.
But I want all 85 gigabytes of my music to be available in the i3.
-What solid-state hard drive (SSHD) do I get? It would plug into the USB port in the car for power in and signal out.
-I believe this SSHD can be storage only, as Apple Car Play is the operating system / software that processes all those bits. Is that correct?
I went to a local BMW dealer and their 'digital' consultant was worthless. Now it's time for the group brain right here!

I live in Los Angeles.

Thank you.

Is there Nobody who has a lot of digital music that they listen to instead of radio?
This should be a simple answer but I have not found it at any auto or audio store.
Grateful Dead at Cornell on 5/8/77 is great, but I want ALL of my Dead shows in my car!

Is there Nobody who has a lot of digital music that they listen to instead of radio?
This should be a simple answer but I have not found it at any auto or audio store.
Grateful Dead at Cornell on 5/8/77 is great, but I want ALL of my Dead shows in my car!
I like to listen to my own music in the car, but I've never used any Apple app stuff which is what I thought you were asking about. I've got the HK sound system and I just copy the files to the on-board HDD off any old USB drive whenever I think of something else to add.

I had the BMW Music Adapter for iPod/iPhone for a while but I only had the 160Gb iPod model (note this has the 30-pin connector to iPod although I think it still works via another adapter from the 30-pin connector to lighting). Since then I got a micro SD card (512gb), and put this in a USB adapter plugged into the socket under the armrest. Currently, the micro SD card has about 240 Gb of music on it under Artist/Album subdirectories.

Both of these work well as a device listed in the multimedia menu on the car, allowing selection via folder, artist, genre etc.

One word of warning here... There appears to be 2 slightly different versions of the BMW Music Adapter for iPod/iPhone since I originally purchased one for my bike (K1600 GT) which didn't work, so I got the other version which does work on the bike, and then found the first one worked in the i3 (never tried the one that is working on the bike in the car so it maybe both versions work in the car).

I had the BMW Music Adapter for iPod/iPhone for a while but I only had the 160Gb iPod model (note this has the 30-pin connector to iPod although I think it still works via another adapter from the 30-pin connector to lighting). Since then I got a micro SD card (512gb), and put this in a USB adapter plugged into the socket under the armrest. Currently, the micro SD card has about 240 Gb of music on it under Artist/Album subdirectories.

Both of these work well as a device listed in the multimedia menu on the car, allowing selection via folder, artist, genre etc.

One word of warning here... There appears to be 2 slightly different versions of the BMW Music Adapter for iPod/iPhone since I originally purchased one for my bike (K1600 GT) which didn't work, so I got the other version which does work on the bike, and then found the first one worked in the i3 (never tried the one that is working on the bike in the car so it maybe both versions work in the car).
In my '14 i3, I plugged a flash drive with 6gb of MP3 files on it into the USB port under the armrest. This port will charge my phone (slowly) but the stereo will not play music from the drive. I had to plug an MP3 player loaded with the same files into the aux jack just above the USB port (using the USB port to keep the MP3 player charged) to play my music library through the stereo. Do you think a flash drive would work with a software mod?

Sorry for the slight thread hijack but is there a way to stop all the tracks being listed in alphabetical order rather than track order? I've tried with the internal hard drive and external USB but the result is the same - each album's tracks are played in AB order, not sequentially. The same media will play in the correct order on every other device I own (cars, audio players, PCs ...). It's very annoying.

Sorry for the slight thread hijack but is there a way to stop all the tracks being listed in alphabetical order rather than track order? I've tried with the internal hard drive and external USB but the result is the same - each album's tracks are played in AB order, not sequentially. The same media will play in the correct order on every other device I own (cars, audio players, PCs ...). It's very annoying.
Can't answer this. The MP3 player I use has a "shuffle play" feature that plays my music in random order so I'm less likely to get bored.

I have not tried this with the i3, but a trick I used years ago for this sort of thing was to use sequential numbering of tracks as the first character.

Back