Hard drive with all of my music

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
*** Off Topic Alert ***
Ahh, the days of Dead shows past. Stoners walking around w/ one finger in the air, "I need a miracle." ||| Getting a grilled cheese sandwich from a young lady making them at the rear of her VW Bus ||| The sweet smell of pot wafting ||| And toward the end, weren't there people selling CD's of the show you just saw? ||| "There WAS nothing like a Grateful Dead show"
A buddy and I drove non-stop from Houston, TX, to attend a free show with the Grateful Dead and Jefferson Airplane, 9/16/67, Elysian Park, Los Angeles. Well worth the long drive. I was returning to grad. school at U.C. Riverside anyway, so not a special trip, but would not have driven non-stop otherwise. Those were the days… 🎸

With the CIC idrive in my E61 I replaced the hard drive with an SSD just because I could. It made the maps (that I don’t use) load faster. Also let me put on as much music as I want. Should use a bit less power. I imagine we could do something similar with an i3. The CIC runs the QNX operating system (remember BlackBerry?) and I had to run that on a virtual machine in order to format the drive with the correct file system.

Last edited:
Is there Nobody who has a lot of digital music that they listen to instead of radio?
This should be a simple answer but I have not found it at any auto or audio store.
Grateful Dead at Cornell on 5/8/77 is great, but I want ALL of my Dead shows in my car!
I'm replacing my SSD with a USB stick later as this will draw less power from the 12V I believe. I'll post up a video later when everything has copied across.

With the CIC idrive in my E61 I replaced the hard drive with an SSD just because I could. It made the maps (that I don’t use) load faster. Also let me put on as much music as I want. Should use a bit less power. I imagine we could do something similar with an i3. The CIC runs the QNX operating system (remember BlackBerry?) and I had to run that on a virtual machine in order to format the drive with the correct file system.
Wow! Good job!

With the oldest i3's being a decade old, I've been surprised that I've never read of any i3 hard drive failing. An SSD should be more reliable and as you wrote, use less power and be faster. I'm sort of surprised that the QNX operating system in BMW vehicles would include the necessary SSD device drivers because SSD's weren't installed by BMW.

Wow! Good job!

With the oldest i3's being a decade old, I've been surprised that I've never read of any i3 hard drive failing. An SSD should be more reliable and as you wrote, use less power and be faster. I'm sort of surprised that the QNX operating system in BMW vehicles would include the necessary SSD device drivers because SSD's weren't installed by BMW.
A hard drive is just a hard drive. The CIC uses an older PATA style (verses the modern SATA) drive so I got a PATA to m.2 adapter so that I could put any m.2 SSD in it. I just followed someone else's instructions though.

I find it surprising that a 2021 i3 (for example) runs a tiny spinning hard disk rather than an SSD, and that (as already said) we never seem to hear any reports of failures!

Can you remember whether the example that you looked at runs the native QNX filesystem? If so, and it's their Power-safe filesystem, that's a real pain - as far as I can see even Linux has no support for that in the public repositories. It seems like an odd choice, but I guess they had to choose something, and QNX might well have been selected partly to create an element of "security through obscurity" - they may have thought they would get fewer people messing with their code if they chose that as their OS? And... perhaps when the i3 was first conceived, Blackberry was still considered to have more of a future than actually transpired...

Back