Charging 80 or 100%

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never understood the "board" part. I assume that the original German is bordcomputer. Maybe there's a better translation of "bord". Might it be "onboard computer"?
Onboard Computer would be a better translation. In german, computer is "Rechner". I guess the name of the button got lost in translation. I understand the phrase "board computer" does not exist in the english language or is it grammarwise incorrect?

The Vgate iCar 2 WiFi adapter is a simple WiFi base station in that one's smartphone could connect to it so that the mi3 (iOS) or electrified (Android) app could display the current charge level. I doubt that it has sufficient power to be able to connect to it from within one's home, but I've never tested its range.

I don't know how the WiFi base station that provides WiFi access in your driveway would be able to connect to a Vgate iCar 2 WiFi adapter.

U.S. i3's sound the burglar alarm when an OBD adapter remains plugged in for some period of time (not sure how long) after an i3 is shut down. This can be turned off via coding, but it would make an i3 slightly less secure if someone could plug in an OBD adapter without the driver knowing.
My (US) i3 (2017) always has the adapter plugged in and I didn’t recode anything for it. No alarm has ever sounded.

Onboard Computer would be a better translation. In german, computer is "Rechner". I guess the name of the button got lost in translation. I understand the phrase "board computer" does not exist in the english language or is it grammarwise incorrect?
If I ever heard someone using the phrase "board computer" in English -- which I haven't -- but if I did, I'd guess maybe it was one of those little rotating paper disc calculator thingies, in this case made specifically for carpentry . . . or maybe a device to calculate the cost of a meal plan, e.g. at a school dormitory cafeteria.

Grammatically it's fine, but just not a phrase I associated with anything.

My (US) i3 (2017) always has the adapter plugged in and I didn’t recode anything for it. No alarm has ever sounded.
Interesting!

I participated in a state pilot project to assess the possibility of replacing the state gasoline tax with a charge based on distance driven and maybe a vehicles weight. The technology used an OBD dongle to transmit the distance driven via a cellular radio in the dongle. The burglar alarm on our 2014 U.S. i3 was triggered during the evening of the first day during which it had been plugged in.

I found a setting in BimmerCode that would disable the triggering of the burglar alarm when an OBD dongle was left plugged in when an i3 had been parked for more than a couple of hours:

FZD (Roof Function Center)
3002->OBD-Alarm: set to inactive

Changing this setting prevented the alarm from being triggered, but the company providing the technology correctly decided that their solution needed to be plug-and-play with no requirement for i3 owners to code their i3's. Also, disabling this alarm could make an i3 less secure should some bad guy plug in an OBD dongle that would report information about an i3.

Maybe someone has coded your i3 to disable this alarm.

Interesting!

I participated in a state pilot project to assess the possibility of replacing the state gasoline tax with a charge based on distance driven and maybe a vehicles weight. The technology used an OBD dongle to transmit the distance driven via a cellular radio in the dongle.
Brrrr..... no offence but.... Big Brother tech :unsure:

Brrrr..... no offence but.... Big Brother tech :unsure:
I'd rather pay a road tax based on the distance I drove in a lightweight i3 than paying $50 per year as I currently do regardless of the distance I drive and the weight of of my vehicle. Fuel taxes aren't covering road repair costs and will continue decreasing as more EV's, PHEV's, and HEV's are sold, so a fair change is needed. Charging EV owners a flat charge isn't fair.

An OBD dongle could be designed to report only the distance driven once per day with no location or other information transmitted. Alternatively, submitting a photo of the odometer monthly could work although odometers can be hacked to display less distance than actually driven.

Back