Charge to 80%?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Consider this from the 2019 manual page 105. "
Energy cannot be recovered in the following situations:
▷ Selector lever position N is engaged.
▷ While drive stability control systems, for in‐
stance DTC, are active and controlling the
vehicle, even though this is not indicated by
an indicator light.
The high-voltage battery is fully charged

I charge to 80 to 90%. My level 2 charger gives me some automatic controls. If I was using level 1 I would make a chart for the appropriate time to charge from 10, 15, 20%..etc to 80% and use a simple 120V timer.

Consider this from the 2019 manual page 105. "
Energy cannot be recovered in the following situations:
▷ Selector lever position N is engaged.
With our former 2014 i3 in N descending a hill, no regen occurred while descending until the brake pedal was lightly pressed. The power gauge then indicated a significant regen level while in N. I haven't tried this with our former 2019 or current 2021 i3.
I charge to 80 to 90%. My level 2 charger gives me some automatic controls. If I was using level 1 I would make a chart for the appropriate time to charge from 10, 15, 20%..etc to 80% and use a simple 120V timer.
Another option would be to set an alarm on one's smart watch or smartphone when charging should end. I have done this for years with good success after learning the charging speed of our AC Level 2 EVSE. Of course, this requires walking to one's i3 and unplugging the EVSE.

If you stop charging by setting your EVSE to stop at a certain time, does that result in a charging error in your i3? I know that if I switch off the power to our EVSE while charging is active, a charging error message is displayed in our i3. I don't know if this would result in an email message being sent alerting me of this error, but I hope that it would.

Back