Alternative Mobility in Southern California

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicholai

Does anyone know of any southern California dealerships that are participating in this program? I bought from Irvine BMW, but they're not participating. Next step is to call every dealership (as far as I know, there's no list available online), so I figured I'd ask here first.

Thanks!

Check with Sterling BMW in Newport Beach. That's where I purchased my i3. They told me some time ago that they would be participating. I have not follow up recently. By the way, they are quite good at providing loaner cars when yours goes into the shop.

drb said:
Check with Sterling BMW in Newport Beach. That's where I purchased my i3. They told me some time ago that they would be participating. I have not follow up recently. By the way, they are quite good at providing loaner cars when yours goes into the shop.

Thanks. I contacted them, but they have not started it yet. Many of the dealerships I've called have said they plan on it, but have not completed the whole process yet.

Nicholai said:
Does anyone know of any southern California dealerships that are participating in this program? I bought from Irvine BMW, but they're not participating. Next step is to call every dealership (as far as I know, there's no list available online), so I figured I'd ask here first.
I think you mean "Flexible Mobility Program".
http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Vehicles/2015/i3/BMWi3RangeExtender/360Electric/FlexibleMobility.aspx

My sales rep at Irvine BMW told me they were already participating in the Flexible Mobility Program. He said all I had to do was call one of their departments (forget what they called it) to schedule a vehicle.

I haven't tried so maybe he was not informed of their participation in the Flexible Mobility Program? I would rarely use this but it is would be nice to know it's available.

Cartman said:
I think you mean "Flexible Mobility Program".
http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Vehicles/2015/i3/BMWi3RangeExtender/360Electric/FlexibleMobility.aspx

My sales rep at Irvine BMW told me they were already participating in the Flexible Mobility Program. He said all I had to do was call one of their departments (forget what they called it) to schedule a vehicle.

I haven't tried so maybe he was not informed of their participation in the Flexible Mobility Program? I would rarely use this but it is would be nice to know it's available.

Yes, that's the one. I've seen it listed as Flexible Mobility, Alternate Mobility (which is actually what I meant to call it and just mistyped. Hah.), Alternative Mobility, etc.

I leased from the Internet Director (not that his title necessarily means he's right, but you would hope) and when I asked about the program he immediately knew what I was talking about and explained that they don't participate because BMW didn't make it very attractive for dealerships to enroll. So, it sounded like he knew what he was talking about. I would love to be wrong, though.

Hmm. I just happened to stumble across a random Google review from someone that bought at Crevier about a week ago. His review specifically mentions that they participate in the program, so I think I need to call back and talk to someone that knows better.

If participating dealers have to provide cars for customers of another dealer, why would they join the program? What is in it for them? Unless they put aside a dozen cars, the few dealers who are part of the program will be swamped with requests from all over SoCal and will end up telling their own customers that cars are all booked up due to demand from others dealers customers. It is a lose-lose situation..... The dealer has to have lots of cars tied up in the program and he can't give priority to their own buyers who get squeezed out by customers from outside. Customers won't be able to get a car due to all the regional demand being focused upon a handful of dealers.
Typical BMW hype: make a big announcement, promise the moon and then let the whole thing die a quiet death and blame it on "lack of dealer participation"...... When the whole program was designed to fail from the get-go due to the paucity of incentives for dealer enrollment.

Hmm, that's actually a bit of a bait and switch for me, as I factored that into the purchase decision.

Sigh.

I skimmed through a few articles/blogposts about this program, and most of them referenced buyers/owners. Is it known that this program would allow leasers to participate?

As a response to why the dealerships would do it, there's obviously not many good reasons as evidenced by noone participating. But I was thinking, maybe if BMW subsidized the cost of the loaner cars going out, just another way for that dealer to get someone through their doors? And potentially make the pitch, "Hey, why go back to that other dealer that doesn't offer this service?" "Come see how friendly and courteous we are." "Look at this shiny new toy you could possibly have!"? I dunno. Just hoping this doesn't fizzle out.

BMW does subsidize the program, but some dealers are baulking at the conditions. THey need a certain level of customer activity of the vehicles, they can't be used for other loaner programs, and I think there were some other provisions, and if they are not met on a monthly basis, BMW won't pay for it.

Yes, the dealers only get paid when the cars they have set aside are used. Otherwise they will have cars dedicated to the program just sit on the lot costing them money. They are not allowed to use the cars for any other purpose. Because of this dealers will probably welcome participation from customers regardless of where they purchased.

Ultimately the problem is the USA and our independent franchise dealer network. I don't think this is a problem in other parts of the world.

Ultimately, the problem is that BMW did not ask their dealers if they wanted to participate BEFORE making the announcement to the public. Now they have over promised to their customers and cannot deliver. It seems that BMW communicates with their dealers about as well as they communicate with us.

When I leased my i3, all the BMW literature that I was exposed to implied that the Alternative Mobility program was going to be available at every i3 and i8 dealer. The reality is shaping up to be somewhat less than that, BMW raised our expectations and is clearly unable to deliver all they implied.

Heh, for some reason I am somewhat anti-franchise dealers. Perhaps from past experience. I prefer the Tesla direct model cutting out the middle man...ordering exactly what I want and receiving delivery at a known price. That may not work for the majority of the public since they don't seem to really know what they want and need to test drive this and that and be "handled" by the dealers.

Schnort said:
Hmm, that's actually a bit of a bait and switch for me, as I factored that into the purchase decision.

Sigh.
A total un-sigh.

I called my BMW sales guy and they said "BMW's program is a paperwork nightmare, but we'll lend you a car free of charge if you bought yours here".

Sooo....hurray! I don't have to rent a car for a weekend trip.

Back