2019 i3s AC Compressor Failure, $4k+, Extremely Disappointed

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This isn't true - it doesn’t only work when the car needs it. It also works if you set your departure time in the myBMW app or in the car, and also everytime you plug into charge at a DC Charger. This equals much more compressor usage than a combustion only vehicle across a typical year.
O.k. I was referring to battery cooling, not to other usage of the compressor. When DC charging, in my experience also not every time when the weather is chilly or cold. Agreed, it may lead to more compressor usage. That BMW fitted a less than appropriate device isn't great.

O.k. I was referring to battery cooling, not to other usage of the compressor. When DC charging, in my experience also not every time when the weather is chilly or cold. Agreed, it may lead to more compressor usage. That BMW fitted a less than appropriate device isn't great.
It's strange because the tesla model 3 and y both use almost identical compressors - hanon systems I believe.

Just a thought: it is true that the A/C compressor activates when nessecary, so frequent DC charging sessions may be wearing out the compressor more in the long run. It pleas for avoiding DC charging when possible, especially in warmer climates. DC charging may not be so bad for the battery but it may be for the compressor :unsure:

I think it would be difficult to argue that a failed A/C compressor might lead to a catastrophic battery thermal event because an i3 automatically reduces the battery pack's power output when its temperature increases above a certain limit. Reduced power output would reduce battery pack heating. If it gets hot enough, its output power would probably be stopped so that further heating wouldn't occur.

So I don't think that a failed compressor is dangerous other than it could eventually leave one stranded. However, it's a poor design that a compressor that fails by imploding could total an i3 due to the high repair cost. Do A/C compressors implode regularly in other vehicles? Maybe the i3 compressor design is faulty or its quality, low.
It's very rare. 0.04%.

Just a thought: it is true that the A/C compressor activates when nessecary, so frequent DC charging sessions may be wearing out the compressor more in the long run. It pleas for avoiding DC charging when possible, especially in warmer climates. DC charging may not be so bad for the battery but it may be for the compressor :unsure:
Sure, the less often a device is used, the longer its life will most probably be. The problem in the discussion about the AC compressor is, that we do not have reliable data. How much compressors of the delivered 250k i3 really failed? Under which circumstances? Under which climatic conditions? Did permanent DC charging increase the failure rate? In some climatic conditions it might even be a solution to make the system inop by pulling the regarding c/b, accepting that DC charging might take a little longer, because the battery management might reduce the current when a cetain battery temperature threshold is reached. After all it seems to be pretty sure that the AC of the i3 is no device that is designed to remain switched on day in and day out for comfort.

No source was provided for the 0.04% failure incidence, so I'm not very confident that this is accurate.
You are correct. I could nor find the source myself even though I posted that number. It may be incorrect and I should have qualified it to say so - but the point still holds, whether it's a 100 or 1000 units, the number is surprisingly low given all of the noise generated. Not surprising in that regard.

With 7 or 8 part number revisions it is clear the failure rate was on the radar at BMW hq. Not very likely the .04 number is reliable. Zero reason to invest in updating a part that is working.

With 7 or 8 part number revisions it is clear the failure rate was on the radar at BMW hq. Not very likely the .04 number is reliable. Zero reason to invest in updating a part that is working.
The last what I want to do is defending BMW in this case. But the existence of a lot of partnumbers alone does not constitute the proof for the bad behaviour of an assembly or part. Because even if the supplier of an o-ring, seal, washer or any other part changes, BMW is obliged to change the partnumber. The modification list of the compressor would be really interesting, but for different reasons BMW will keep it top secret.

Part number changes are not something to rely on as proof. Does BMW use the same compressor in other cars? Are there portions of it that are shared? Items that are revised merely for production efficiency and cost advantage? BMW can change part numbers for any arbitrary reason they choose regardless.

Back