2 weeks as an owner - and I mostly love it

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

westlondoni3

My i3 rex is now 2 weeks old and I mostly love it. The drive, the quality, the gadgetry. Downside? Only one so far - the lacklustre charging network (I don't see the point of a 13amp socket charger of the type we seem to have a lot of in London - 8 hours is too long to wait) - we need a much better DC network to make me feel more secure about longer trips.

I'm not getting more than about 60 miles per charge, but I think this is my heavy right foot.
I also wish I'd got the Driving Assistant Plus, but that's the only extra I didn't go for.

westlondoni3 said:
My i3 rex is now 2 weeks old and I mostly love it. The drive, the quality, the gadgetry. Downside? Only one so far - the lacklustre charging network (I don't see the point of a 13amp socket charger of the type we seem to have a lot of in London - 8 hours is too long to wait) - we need a much better DC network to make me feel more secure about longer trips.

I'm not getting more than about 60 miles per charge, but I think this is my heavy right foot.
I also wish I'd got the Driving Assistant Plus, but that's the only extra I didn't go for.

I'd imagine that people working a 9-5 near a 13 amp charging socket convenient for their work place might feel very differently about the capability such outlets offer.

Bill

[/quote]

I'd imagine that people working a 9-5 near a 13 amp charging socket convenient for their work place might feel very differently about the capability such outlets offer.

Bill[/quote]

Bill, I agree with you, I was just making the point that the default charger should probably be a rapid-charge.

My experience after three Leafy years is that here in the NE almost all fast chargers are now 7kW, and they are very useful for 'grazing' while shopping etc. I've only used rapid charging 13 times, others with different driving profiles have quite different usage patterns of course.

Hi

I have had my Rex for almost two weeks and would agree that it is an excellent all-round car. I did a round trip of 180 miles during the week with 2 passengers. I would agree that the lack of compatible chargers (fast/slow) is a big issue. The Rex is not an economical way to use the car and I would prefer to be able to use public charging points, especially at the motorway services, to top the battery up rather than rely heavily on the Rex. Cost aside the Rex is great.

I would say my only major gripe....although generally quite amusing....is the access/egress from the rear doors when cars are parked next to you in a car park.

Saw my first i3 on the road (passed me on the M3 Motorway) a grey 63 plate - both gave each other a big thumbs up!

Exactly one month and just over a thousand miles in for me - and I'm very pleased with the car.

I actually enjoy driving again - something that had lost its appeal to me many years ago.

i don't have many gripes; some minor niggles (key fob's a bit plastic-y), some wish-I'd-specced-its (sound system!) and a genric-wish-batteries-would-go-further (I'm getting between 60-something and 90-something depending on how much m-way I do and how much I'm letting rip).

And I do agree that the rear doors are an occasionally comic triumph of style of utility. They look amazing and function perfectly when you're parked, all doors thrown wide, in isolation on a sweeping gravel drive. But trying to extract rear passengers in a narrow bayed UK car park requires a sort of intimate standing limbo dance. But those doors do look stunning!

The big unknown when I ordered it was range. And that's still a bit of a mystery to me. All I can say is that I've had plenty of range for all my needs - and have barely troubled the REx at all.

Our other car is a high spec E Class. In comparison to the i3, it feels positively antiquated and agricultural. I get the impression that once you've tasted EVs, it's rather hard to go back.

Latest posts

Back