i3 HVAC Compressor Woes

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see a couple of people have gotten non-BMW replacement of the compressor, etc.
My 2015 Rex now has this problem in the Houston area. About $8k quoted from Momentum BMW.
Any alternative garage suggestions? Thanks

The compressor went bad on my '14 REX (72k miles) at the end of last year. It was still functional, but made a high-pitched whirring noise - not quite a howl, but more intrusive than the REX - when the AC kicked in, and had thrown out an error code from the main battery. The local exotic car shop I took it to - the i3 felt very downmarket surrounded by Lambos, Ferraris and Porsches! but they also handle BMWs - said there were no metal filings, although they changed out the filter/dryer as a matter of course. Total was $2600 for the compressor itself and ~$900 for labor and the filter. I seem to remember reading somewhere (here, probably) that the BEV doesn't have the same filter/dryer setup as the REX, which might make it more susceptible to shavings, but my memory often plays tricks on me these days :cry: so I may be (probably am) wrong.
Your memory is just fine and your correct. The REX has a different filter dryer built into the right side of the condenser. Being placed where it is, IMHO helps massively against recirculation of shards and debris. On the BEV it's a separate unit shaped like a metal jug in the front left corner of the frunk under the headlight.

I'm now in the midst of experiencing this same issue with my 2015 i3 BEV. Took it to my regular service centre expecting them to easily identify the issue considering a quick Google search of my own showed many people experiencing issues in various threads and YouTube videos with the HV AC Compressor issue as far back as 9 years ago. This is not a new issue.

The service centre took $1,000 just to diagnose the issue and just to find coolant levels were low in the system, metal shavings in the pipes, and a failed compressor.

The coolant system apparently has no leaks. The car has been regularly serviced. And there were no warnings/indicators to indicate anything was wrong.

Now I'm stuck with a $8,000 repair bill for essentially what is a shitty design and quality issue.

Definitely not what you buy a BMW for...

Latest posts

Back