Newbie question about i3 charging port

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greenmatrix

Hi,

Since we don't have any i3 charging at my work. All are Nissan Leaf using Charge point station level 2. My question is that the i3 charging port same as the Leaf (5 holes)? Just wanted to make sure if I am going to buy the i3 it will be able to charge at my work with level 2 port.

Thanks.

The Leaf, I think it is an option, may also have a second charging plug for DC fast charging, and that is not compatible with the i3. Level 2 is the same plug, though, at least in the USA. DC fast charging stations are much rarer than ac ones because they cost LOTS more.

It would be very helpful for the community to answer your question if you could let us know where you live. Please go to "User Control Panel", then "Profile", and add it there. I'll assume for now that you live in North America because you mentioned a 5 pin connector. (Europe uses the Mennekes 7 pin connector for AC charging.)

So you do not get confused, the AC level 2 EVSE you have at work uses the SAE J1772 standard connector:

J1772_Connector.jpg

It works for every EV currently sold in North America, to include the BMW i3 and the Nissan LEAF. You will have no problem using the level 2 EVSE at your workplace to charge your i3.

DC charging is a completely different issue, and yes, the LEAF CHAdeMO DC connector is not compatible with the SAE Combined Charging System (CCS) connector used in the BMW i3.

Unlike Europe, government support of DC fast charging on this side of the pond is virtually nonexistent, so rollout of DC charging infrastructure will be painfully slow. (Atlanta recently celebrated the installation of the second CCS charger East of the Mississippi - whoo hoo.) DC charging is fantastic both in theory, and in Europe.

(Also a few - and growing number of - locations in California, but that is only because of a court imposed remedy for NRG's price fixing schennanigans. There will eventually be 200 installations to comply with the settlement, but only in California.)

Many, if not most, BMW dealers will likely install a CCS station in the next 6mo to a year. This will likely be a 25Kw unit verses the max the i3 can use, but ultimately, a little slower up front probably means less heating, and the ability to keep it up without damaging the batteries, and the time to a full charge (verses the first 80%) may end up taking nearly the same time. Hopefully, that lower-powered unit, being less expensive to buy and requiring less infrastructure to install, will make more of them show up.

I am in California. Yes, The picture one is the one I saw at my work's charging station.

Thanks.

ultraturtle said:
It would be very helpful for the community to answer your question if you could let us know where you live. Please go to "User Control Panel", then "Profile", and add it there. I'll assume for now that you live in North America because you mentioned a 5 pin connector. (Europe uses the Mennekes 7 pin connector for AC charging.)

So you do not get confused, the AC level 2 EVSE you have at work uses the SAE J1772 standard connector:

J1772_Connector.jpg

It works for every EV currently sold in North America, to include the BMW i3 and the Nissan LEAF. You will have no problem using the level 2 EVSE at your workplace to charge your i3.

DC charging is a completely different issue, and yes, the LEAF CHAdeMO DC connector is not compatible with the SAE Combined Charging System (CCS) connector used in the BMW i3.

Unlike Europe, government support of DC fast charging on this side of the pond is virtually nonexistent, so rollout of DC charging infrastructure will be painfully slow. (Atlanta recently celebrated the installation of the second CCS charger East of the Mississippi - whoo hoo.) DC charging is fantastic both in theory, and in Europe.

(Also a few - and growing number of - locations in California, but that is only because of a court imposed remedy for NRG's price fixing schennanigans. There will eventually be 200 installations to comply with the settlement, but only in California.)

Back