Charging Level Questions

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently bought a 2017 REX from a BMW Dealer. The “convenience” charger did not work, so I bought a MEGEAR Skysword II from Amazon, for which the dealer reimbursed me. The MEGEAR claims to do both Level 1 and Level 2 charging. I have only done Level 1 as I have a 110v outlet in the garage. I am hoping to get some advice about charging.
1. Is charging Level 1 only OK? If so, it it best to select the Maximum, Reduced, or Low charging rate? It does take a long time. So, I lock the car so my blue charge port light does not burn out.

2. Absent time constraints, is Level 2 charging better for the batteries? I can have a 220 volt outlet installed if necessary.

Thanks! I am loving the car!

1: Yes L1 is fine. Use Maximum if the circuit you are plugged in to can handle it. Check the outlet after a couple hours and feel if it is noticeably warm. If so, reduce the charging rate. The weak point in most L1 charging situations is the outlet you are plugged in to. These tend to be older, "contractor grade" outlets: the cheapest outlet available. When I first got my 2017 and charged using L1 charger, it sat there for 20 hrs. The cheap outlet got hot and this meant the plug got hot enough to melt a little bit. I changed the outlet to a heavier duty outlet for about $4 (compared to $1 for the cheap outlet).

2: The only advantage to L2 charging is that you can charge faster.

Your car is 7 years old and you have no idea how it has been treated or charged in the past.

Back