EME assembly

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RP67

I'm in the progress to assemble the EME on a project car I have. I found some perished insulation on cables what I'm going to repair. Just out of curious anyone seen this kind of "corrosion" perhaps anyone knows what caused it? Also I'm not so sure what these connectors/cable for, but I'm sure the insulation is there for the reason...
The connectors part of the A/C and PTC heater connection.
What I'd like to know, what are these connectors, and what issue they could cause?

Attachments

• 20240831_131110.jpg
    20240831_131110.jpg
    801.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 20240831_141351.jpg
    20240831_141351.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 3
  • 20240831_101627.jpg
    20240831_101627.jpg
    653.8 KB · Views: 3
No wasn't open for that long. Also the wire in the cables is tin coated, under the un-damaged insulation. As you can see on the picture the wire itself is dark, not shiny. It looks like overheated... not sure whether it's possible or not.

In the last of your photos you can clearly see cracking in the insulation, both along and across the wire. Overheating of the wire could be a possible cause, but I guess it's also true that the manufacturer may have (inadvertently) bought a bad batch of cable - I have seen Far Eastern made cables which have extremely unstable plastics used for the insulation, and they can fail in that way (and in other ways, such as degrading to a sticky mess).

Sorry, but I don't recognise the type of connector.

Yes, that was my thought as well, luckily the rest of the cables are fine, they seem to be "silicon" cables with a very soft and flexible insulation. I wonder what these cable do.

I would add couple of things.
1. Already noted crappy quality cable insulation which would amplify the other possibilities on this list
2. Insufficiently specified cables for the design.
3. Temperature due to environment or high current in cables.
4. Partial discharge damage of the insulation over time due to exposure of high voltages.

I also noticed the dark area on the PCB area possibly indicating heat exposure damage. The string of resistors is possible evidence of high voltage circuitry or power sharing due to higher currents. Of course, it could be due to a heat source beneath this PCB.

Not sure what's being indicated in the connectors.

Good spotting with the PCB. I hope that is the part which allows the AC charging. That is the initial fault of the car, what I try to ignore. I can live with DC charging only, and according to the garage who tried to fix it, it will not throw any fault code as it is. Just found another pair of the same cable, at the top of the unit quite far from these two pair of cable. I'm tending to leaning towards the substandard component...

Attachments

• 20240901_173954 (1).jpg
    20240901_173954 (1).jpg
    774 KB · Views: 1

Latest posts

Back