AC working randomly

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

friviera

Hello,

I had the AC compressor of my i3 replaced a week ago as it failed. (other topic on the forum)
But, since, it seems to me that the AC is not working well.
When the BMW workshop gave me back the car the temperature of the air was not so cold whereas it as set a the lowest setting
but as I never had the compressor working on the car (bought it this winter and it seems that the compressor was already dead)
I had no idea how it should behave and the air outside was not warm so I didn't have a reference.
After 20min at the lowest setting, 16°C (60.8°F) automatic and car in confort mode the temperature blowing was lukewarm, 24°C(75.2°F) outside impossible to lower the temperature of the car, I had to open the windows.

I brought the car back to BMW, they said this is normal but took it for a check, when they gave it back to me it was blowing very cold air as any AC does and I even had to set the temperature higher. (So the normal behavior of the beginning wasn't.)
Next day, again with the same settings the car is not cooling 16°C (60.8°F) set, outdoor temperature 24°C (75.2°F) for a trip of 10min, at some point it was even 28°C (82.4°F) on the dashboard.

To see if it is a compressor issue I launched the preconditionning for 5min with the remote,
we immediately hear the compressor starting and ramping up and the cooling fan noise at the front of the car and the air in the cabin is very cold.
4h later I took again the car and immediately when starting it, the AC was working, blowing perfectly cold air.
I was hoping something worked well but today again, impossible to get cold air with the same settings, the compressor and fan are not starting even when using Max AC.

The workshop asked me to bring back the car to have this checked if it's not as cold as when they gave it back to me.
From what he said I guess they reconfigured something to fix the issue and this isn't working as expected.

Is there anything specific in the behavior of the AC in the i3?
Does anyone already had an issue like that and what was the solution?

Thank you

Problem solved by the BMW Workshop, for anyone who would have an issue like that whereas the system is correctly filled. One of the AC pressure sensors was randomly triggering the safety and turning the AC off. After investigation the wiring going to the sensor was faulty and was interrupting the connection with the vibrations.

Back