Tires on 2021 i3

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Isandula

I purchased a 2021 I3 a year ago with 12,000 miles on it. This after owning a 2018 for a year. I wanted to get the latest model possible, 2021 being the last year of production. I love all aspects of the car. So over the last year, I have put apprx. 6000 miles on what looked like new tires when I purchased it. So, thinking it was time for a tire rotation as I had thought all four tires were the same size, I proceeded to check them with these results:
Right Front---Bridgestone 155/70/R19
Left Front---Bridgestone 155/70/R19

Right Rear---Ecopia 175/60/R19
Left Rear---Bridgestone 175/60R19

So front and rear tires are not exactly the same size. My question is: Should I rotate these tires? Would it be safe to do so? Or should I wait till they need replacement and purchase the same sizes as on the car now, or could I buy four tires the same size so they could be rotated?

Thanks,
Ron Sheeley
Archdale, NC 27263

So front and rear tires are not exactly the same size. My question is: Should I rotate these tires? Would it be safe to do so? Or should I wait till they need replacement and purchase the same sizes as on the car now, or could I buy four tires the same size so they could be rotated?
Although you can't do a complete tire rotation included front <-> back, you could rotate side-to-side. The right rear tire tends to wear faster than the left rear tire, so there is some value in side-to-side rotation, especially in the rear. Whether it would be worth paying for a side-to-side rotation depends on the cost. I've always done this rotation myself.

It sounds like you have a set of tires on your car for the i3S which uses a wider tire in the rear on a 20 inch wheel. You cannot rotate front to rear on an i3S and I presume you have the same set u on your car. You can only swap from side to side. I have only gotten about 20k on my rear tires on my i3S. This is even with low starting torque settings on the type of drive. I don't quite understand why you would have 19 inch wheel differences as it is chiefly an i3S matter on tire size.

It sounds like you have a set of tires on your car for the i3S which uses a wider tire in the rear on a 20 inch wheel. You cannot rotate front to rear on an i3S and I presume you have the same set u on your car. You can only swap from side to side. I have only gotten about 20k on my rear tires on my i3S. This is even with low starting torque settings on the type of drive. I don't quite understand why you would have 19 inch wheel differences as it is chiefly an i3S matter on tire size.
All U.S. i3's with either 19" and 20" wheels have had wider wheels and tires on the rear except for 60 Ah BEV's with type 427 "pizza slice" wheels which have the narrower 5" wheels and 155 mm tires both front and rear. Wider rear wheels and tires are not a feature of only the i3S.

So when I buy a full set of new tires for my 2021 i3, could I buy all the same size and thus be able to rotate them? Thanks in advance. Not an i3S

So when I buy a full set of new tires for my 2021 i3, could I buy all the same size and thus be able to rotate them? Thanks in advance. Not an i3S
The rear wheels are ½" wider than the front wheels and have a 10 mm different offset. As a result, I believe that 175 mm tires on rear wheels would rub on the front suspension unless wheel spacers are installed. Apparently, 155 mm tires on rear wheels do not rub on the front suspension, but 155 mm tires on the heavier rear, especially for a REx model, might be overloaded and wear faster. The best solution would probably be to buy 2 rear wheels and mount 175 mm tires on 4 rear wheels with wheel spacers on the front wheels.

Back