Who is the company that makes hatch struts with spring assist to kick the hatch open?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldbimmerguy

There is a firm tha makes hatch gas struts with a hard compressible spring on the end that will kick the hatch open when the button is pressed and then allow the strut to do its thing in raising the hatch. I saw it operate but now,extensive searching cannot find it again. I,want to see if they make a suitable unit for the i3. Any helpappreciad,greatly

I think the OP is describing a system where the closed hatch is under spring tension and upon unlocking a spring would unload tension, pushing the hatch beyond the gravity point and then the strut would guild its opening to the max position.

Never heard of that, but I'm applying for the patent today.

I just want a set of struts that let it open a few inches higher. BMW obvious gave no thought to anybody over 6' tall constantly hitting their head on the sharp corners. It is the one thing that I truly absolutely hate about my i3.

It would also be good for a handicap person.
But don't forget that you don't get anything for free if it's not powered, and that means that you have to re-compress the spring, starting from somewhere around the "tipping" point. From there onward you will have to push or pull downward to shut the tailgate. That may be more of a problem than opening it, depending on the nature of their handicap.

I just want a set of struts that let it open a few inches higher. BMW obvious gave no thought to anybody over 6' tall constantly hitting their head on the sharp corners. It is the one thing that I truly absolutely hate about my i3.
You don't even need to be that tall in cold weather when the struts don't lift the hatch all the way up . . . Blindly turn around and POW! I've gotten bruises that when asked I just said "You shoulda seen the other guy."

Johnny cakes got the concept correct. It was discussed on the ford focus forums. The company was called Schafers but no active website is on line anymore. I have done some simple testing and it seems the I3 geometry is not correct for this. The hatch is heavy and the tipping point where the struts can take over is pretty far out and there is likely not enough room for a spring to kick it that far. Bummer.

You don't even need to be that tall in cold weather when the struts don't lift the hatch all the way up . . . Blindly turn around and POW! I've gotten bruises that when asked I just said "You shoulda seen the other guy."
I might just stick some of those child safety corners on mine if I can find them in black. :unsure:

Just ordered some in clear. :cool:

Last edited:
I might just stick some of those child safety corners on mine if I can find them in black. :unsure:

Just ordered some in clear. :cool:
Sure, but you'd probably have to use cold water and would have to be careful not to accidentally scrape them off when shampooing.

Sure, but you'd probably have to use cold water and would have to be careful not to accidentally scrape them off when shampooing.
I've installed them, and they are holding on well so far in our mid-90s heat. Reviews say the glue is actually very good, so hopefully not easy to knock off when washing. Cheap experiment either way. The extras will be used for my granddaughter's toddling exploits . .

I've installed them, and they are holding on well so far in our mid-90s heat. Reviews say the glue is actually very good, so hopefully not easy to knock off when washing. Cheap experiment either way. The extras will be used for my granddaughter's toddling exploits . .
Photos

The only problem I see with them being clear is that there is adhesive around the sides I don't need to have it. I left the white covering tape on that to prevent dirt from collecting on the glue, but I don't know how effective that will be long term. It's not really visible with the hatch closed however.

Back