where to repire i3 REX

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

williaminus

Newbie here. need advise where to repair I3 REX, rearended to a ford exploer. front hood, bumper, lights... smashed. Where should i go? a regular bodyshop or BMW service? Estimate from the regular one is about 8k. BMW service could be way over. Please kindly advise. I am in eastbay area.

Definitely go to BMW and get a quote.

Local repairer will have never repaired an i3 and probably will have zero experience of repairing CFRP vehicles.

If there is no structural damage, then maybe the local repairer can order the broken bits and paint and fit them.

If anything regarding the CFRP needs repair, I agree, it is almost certain that the independent shop will not either have the materials or the experience to fix the car properly. If needed, those bits cannot just be bolted on, and you cannot straighten a bent frame (unlikely to happen, it would break first).

I33t said:

Local repairer will have never repaired an i3 and probably will have zero experience of repairing CFRP vehicles.

If there is no structural damage, then maybe the local repairer can order the broken bits and paint and fit them.

BMW didn't want to give me a quote until they open the damaged hood. That way I will have to get a tow truck if I want to fix it somewhere else. Anyway, probably that's the only way. Do i have to compare between different BMW service sites?

jadnashuanh said:
If anything regarding the CFRP needs repair, I agree, it is almost certain that the independent shop will not either have the materials or the experience to fix the car properly. If needed, those bits cannot just be bolted on, and you cannot straighten a bent frame (unlikely to happen, it would break first).
thanks. but do i have to compare between different BMW services? or they will quote me the exactly same anyway? any experience?

williaminus said:
I33t said:

BMW didn't want to give me a quote until they open the damaged hood. That way I will have to get a tow truck if I want to fix it somewhere else. Anyway, probably that's the only way. Do i have to compare between different BMW service sites?

If BMW won't give you a quote until they have had a proper look and confirm the extent of the damage, why would you trust a local repairer who doesn't open the hood?

Surely the damaged hood can be taped down again?

Don't you have insurance? It sounds strange to take a very new design vehicle with unique construction to a repairer that has no experience in repairing it when the BMW network has the equipment and skills to repair the vehicle.

Re BMW, ask customer service which dealers have the body repair credentials in your area.

williaminus said:
Do i have to compare between different BMW service sites?
BMW dealers, at least those selling the i3 in the USA, are independent dealers, so their prices could well differ. Also note, not all dealers have taken the certification training and made the investment in people and materials to repair the i3. So, first question is: will the dealer be doing the repairs itself, or sending it out? Sending it out will usually cost more since each one wants a cut of the action, even those the dealership may not do much except source the parts.

What will remain the same is the actual parts cost from BMW, not the labor involved (which can be a substantial part of the job). As far as I know, BMW does not have tiered pricing on parts to its dealers...IOW, other than shipping costs, which may differ depending on location, the actual part cost is the same for all. They may get a discount on something like accessories, where they buy 20 BMW T-shirts, but none are likely to be buying multiple fenders, bumper covers, etc. to just have laying around.

I33t said:
williaminus said:
I33t said:

If BMW won't give you a quote until they have had a proper look and confirm the extent of the damage, why would you trust a local repairer who doesn't open the hood?

Surely the damaged hood can be taped down again?

Don't you have insurance? It sounds strange to take a very new design vehicle with unique construction to a repairer that has no experience in repairing it when the BMW network has the equipment and skills to repair the vehicle.

Re BMW, ask customer service which dealers have the body repair credentials in your area.

Thank you so much for the advice! will check with BMW. Unfortunately I stupidly downgraded my policy to liability only.

Back