What Car Did You Drive Before Going Electric

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AzuraMOYK

I’m currently driving a BMW X4 M40i, which, in non-BMW speak, is a crazy fast, slightly awkward-looking 3.0L petrol-powered SUV. I know, I know… boo me all you want!

But seriously, I’ve been thinking about switching to the electric side and cleansing myself of my polluting ways. When I’m not racing from one red light to the next, I actually enjoy cruising through the city in adaptive mode, where the stop-start tech turns off the engine for some quiet. It’s made me wonder if I might actually be craving an electric car.

I don’t drive much—maybe 200 miles in a day once a month, but most of the time, it’s just short trips to the store or weekend drives. Since I work from home and have a second car, my driving habits aren’t too demanding.

So, I’m curious:
  • What car were you driving before you switched to electric, and do you miss it?
  • Would you ever consider going back to fossil fuel, or are you fully committed to EV life?

• What car were you driving before you switched to electric, and do you miss it?
  • Would you ever consider going back to fossil fuel, or are you fully committed to EV life?
I've been a wagon guy since the mid 90's. A pair of Subaru Legacy wagons, followed by a Ford Flex (technically in wagon territory), an Acura TSX sportwagon, and finally an Audi allroad.

From the practicality standpoint, downsizing to the i3 was a compromise.

But I still own the Flex (it mostly sits), and I manage to carry plenty of unusual stuff in the i3, road trip in the VW ID.4, and would replace the Flex with an EV – a Kia EV9 or VW Buzz – should it ever make financial sense to do so.

I can't imagine ever again owning any sort of ICE variant.

Back