VIN number gone

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dutchi3

Supporting Member
I noticed the other day that the VIN number that normally is visible in a small frame in the lower left corner of the windscreen has disappeared. Either it disappeared when the windscreen was replaced or "fell off" while it was parked in hot sunlight. I don't know. My question is this: is there another place on the car where the VIN number can be found? I know it is in the papers as well, but it has to be stamped on the chassis somewhere. An answer is very much appreciated :) I am puzzled.

Definitely. The easiest to access are the drivers side door jamb near the vents and under the hood ahead of the frunk. There's one beneath a plastic cover underneath the right-side front seat. I expect there are more in the motor bay, battery box, etc.

Is your new windshield OE or aftermarket?

Definitely. The easiest to access are the drivers side door jamb near the vents and under the hood ahead of the frunk. There's one beneath a plastic cover underneath the right-side front seat. I expect there are more in the motor bay, battery box, etc.

Is your new windshield OE or aftermarket?
I don't know the difference, but it has not been installed by BMW for shure. Insurance company pointed me to a repair shop they endorse.

If it is OEM, there should be a mark like this on the windshield above where your VIN plate used to be: windshield.jpeg

If it is OEM, there should be a mark like this on the windshield above where your VIN plate used to be:
I just checked, every window has a BMW logo, but the new windshield says Saint-Gobain but no BMW logo. The other windows also show a different brand. So I guess no OEM, but still a brand used by BMW. I don't consider the absence of an OEM logo as very important.

Might be an explanation for why your VIN is no longer visible.

In my memory, the VIN was visible trough the square frame in the window, it was not etched into the glass if I recall. So whatever sticker it was on behind the glass, it's gone. Still puzzled.
It was not etched into the glass. It was on a small plate that was secured to the dash panel visible through the windscreen.
If the windscreen was replaced, it is possible that faulty workmanship during the process caused the VIN plate to get knocked off.
Or whatever caused the windscreen to be damaged also caused damage to that part of the dash and it was replaced without replacing the VIN plate.

If the windscreen was replaced, it is possible that faulty workmanship during the process caused the VIN plate to get knocked off.
This is what I think that happened, but I can not rule out high temperatures that loosened the VIN plate. Too bad. The dashboard was not damaged in any way, the windscreen had some "stars" from road debris, that was all.

All I'm suggesting is the masking on the windshield may be off, blocking view to your plate which is still attached.

PXL_20240709_215630470.MP~3.jpg

On one of my i3, the dash has moved enough to block part of the vin number. I suspect your vin number is still in there.

Hope your not in the PNW. Actually had to have a windscreen replaced because the WSP said so. The installer used to much goo and it cover the VIN. So that one had to come out and install another new one.

Back