UK Insurance for leased i3

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeS

So I at last get to collect my Rex this morning. I have taken out the free BMW 7 day insurance and am now looking for my annual policy. What has been others experience of getting insurance for a LEASED car? I have a couple of quotes for around £200 from a price comparison site (I'm 60 with a clean license and long NCD and my previous car was a BMW Z4) but I'm concerned that as it's a leased car I probably need to ensure that if repairs are required that only BMW do it and that it is 'new for old' for the first year. Went to the BMW web site to get a quote but evidently you can't do it online! Called them and they only offer a 5000 mile limited policy (not enough) or unlimited (unnecessary) for about £240. All quotes inc NCD protection and legal cover.

In terms of repair, BMW only stipulate it has to be approved workshop. In practice that means "i" dealers, at least in the short term. Depending on the insurer there may be an additional excess for going outside of their own preferred network, or if their preferred network cannot repair it there should be no additional excess as they can't accommodate you. TBH I wouldn't worry too much.

Other thing to remember because I nearly forgot, make sure you tell the insurance its leased - i got a small price bump over my original quote because they (stupid comparison website) assumed I was the keeper of the vehicle.

BMW won't require repairs to be done at approved bodyshops. Like any leased car, the importance is to ensure that the car is returned in good condition.

You may need gap insurance in case the car is a total write-off.

Thanks for your replies. I hope to get the BMW insurance if the rates stay close enough as they inc ‘new for old’ for the first 12 months so I don’t need gap insurance for the first year. I do plan to get it later.

Under any policy you can (I think its UK law) insist that a specific repairer fixes the car - and given how unusual the i3 is I doubt any one other than BMW could do repairs at the moment. I too almost fell foul of the lease issue……..

It depends what is getting repaired. I have had a bumper repair done - it's a plastic bumper like any other. Any competent bodyshop can do it.

What is the nature of your question? Do you feel that £240 is expensive? Or are you just exploring what others are getting?

We pick ours up in ~3 weeks and our current insurance provider quoted us around £250. We are 30 & 34, married, 12 years no accidents/no claims. Parking in our locked garage resulted in them dropping £20 (which we will legitimately do for plugging in to charge).

I was trying to get a feel of what others had chosen - not necessarily just based on cost - given that I will never own the car. Having never had a leased car before I am unfamiliar with what I need to consider. BMW say you can use any insurer as you should be able to specify a BMW repair and I think that would be necessary for some repairs (I agree with the other poster about items like the bumper - however, I’m not sure the same could be said about the main, colour impregnated, panels. I addition, many insures don’t offer a new replacement for the first 12 months so gap insurance would probably be required if I chose one of the ‘cheaper’ ones.

So, no I don’t think circa £200 is expensive, but I want to ensure I get sufficient insurance of the correct quality………….

I'm 24 just imagine how not cheap my insurance is :shock:

In a semi-related note, I am having a stone chip looked at in my windscreen (it probably won't be repairable its in the UV strip) - Autoglass have replaced 9 i3 windscreens already.

MikeS said:
I was trying to get a feel of what others had chosen - not necessarily just based on cost - given that I will never own the car. Having never had a leased car before I am unfamiliar with what I need to consider. BMW say you can use any insurer as you should be able to specify a BMW repair and I think that would be necessary for some repairs (I agree with the other poster about items like the bumper - however, I’m not sure the same could be said about the main, colour impregnated, panels. I addition, many insures don’t offer a new replacement for the first 12 months so gap insurance would probably be required if I chose one of the ‘cheaper’ ones.

So, no I don’t think circa £200 is expensive, but I want to ensure I get sufficient insurance of the correct quality………….

Cool, I was just curious. Due diligence is always a good thing!

One thing you might want to look at is GAP insurance. But not from the dealer. Get quotes of the internet. I've never had it before, but I got it for a Nissan Juke I'm leasing for the Mrs at the moment. Basically if the insurance payout on a write off is less than the car's current value it settles the amount still outstanding on the lease.

When buying private I've never bothered as it's a loss I can afford to absorb. Would just get a cheaper car with whatever the payout is. But the thought of writing a lease car off in the first year and having to pay for it for the next few years had me clenching enough to pay for a GAP policy. Was less than £100 for 3 years IIRC.

Just read a lot about it as they are confusing to understand what you are covering! Its not the total lease payment, but the difference between the cars written off value and what you still owe on the lease. In simpler terms - it lets you pay up the lease company with no outstanding debts.

I am familiar with gap insurance as I had it on my last 2 cars. However, I hope to not need it until the car is a year old as the BMW insurance should replace with a new car for the first year. Just struggling to ket a quote from BMW as they appear to have some ‘system' issues!

MikeS, I had hiccoughs trying to get a quote yesterday. I got in to the early stages of an online quote system before getting a message that I would have to phone, then when I phoned I was cut off twice before a long chat with a very enthusiastic sales agent at Allianz (presumably). BMW must have taken some cars to demo to those on the BMW line at Allianz last week and they'd been bowled over by the i3.

The last problem was that the email confirmation of the quote hasn't arrived, I'll have to call back and follow that up.

RJSATLBA - I gave in waiting for their email and phoned then up. Clearly something wrong with their quote system as I bought the instance on the phone and those docs came through immediately.

Interesting phone call. Originally, I was quoted for the special BMW i3 insurance but they wanted my permission to gather my milage info from the car which I refused as I wanted the unlimited milage policy! Told without that permission I could not have the policy (also told that you can only pay monthly on that policy!). They then went on to say that I could of course of normal BMW insurance!! I got the quote and the price was the same (£237) so I took it.

The reason I wanted the Bmw policy was because it states:

5. Replacement car. If Your car is:
• stolen and not recovered; or
• damaged to the extent that the cost of repair is
more that 50% of the manufacturers last United Kingdom list price (including VAT) of an identical new car at the time of loss or damage;
we will, at your request, replace Your car with a new one of the same make, model and specification.
We will only do this if:
you have owned the car (or you have hired it under a
lease or hire purchase agreement) since it was first
registered as new;

• Your car is a United Kingdom specification model,
bought from a BMW Authorised Dealer in the United Kingdom;

So it seems I have no need of gap insurance?

MikeS said:

Depends on what the car is worth in year 2 and 3.

These aren't real figures just simple to illustrate:

Say it cost £35k.
1 year its worth 25k.
2 years 20k.
3 year 15k.

Assume with deposit contribution you pay £400 a month on the lease.

Accident writes of the car at exactly 2 years old.

You've got £4,800 of lease payments left to make.

The insurance offer is £20k... the market value of the car. Which goes to the lease company.

You've got to keep paying £400 a months for a car you nolonger have the use of.

The GAP will pay off the outstanding lease so you can then go an lease a new car for £400 a month.

[Edit]
To add it's a bit more complex than that and I'm quickly getting out my depth trying to explain. But basically the lease company are expecting to get a car back after 3 years worth £15k. And a number of interim payments. The GAP is to balance any shortfall from you nolonger having the car.

MikeS said:
The reason I wanted the Bmw policy was because it states:

more that 50% of the manufacturers last United Kingdom list price (including VAT) of an identical new car at the time of loss or damage;
we will, at your request, replace Your car with a new one of the same make, model and specification.
We will only do this if:
registered as new;

I would agree that there's no need for Gap Insurance if the car is on a lease plan. Regardless of the value of your car, you will get a replicate replacement if you so desire. The only condition under which you would benefit from Gap Insurance is if you own the car and would like to replace it with a new car (not necessarily at i3).

nowtta60 said:
One thing you might want to look at is GAP insurance. But not from the dealer. Get quotes of the internet. I've never had it before, but I got it for a Nissan Juke I'm leasing for the Mrs at the moment. Basically if the insurance payout on a write off is less than the car's current value it settles the amount still outstanding on the lease.

When buying private I've never bothered as it's a loss I can afford to absorb. Would just get a cheaper car with whatever the payout is. But the thought of writing a lease car off in the first year and having to pay for it for the next few years had me clenching enough to pay for a GAP policy. Was less than £100 for 3 years IIRC.

Just read a lot about it as they are confusing to understand what you are covering! Its not the total lease payment, but the difference between the cars written off value and what you still owe on the lease. In simpler terms - it lets you pay up the lease company with no outstanding debts.

There is no need to get GAP insurance on a new car, as insurers replace a new car with a new car in the first year. You may need to look at it in the second year, but good brokers are the best to help there.

We are collecting our new Rex on Saturday morning and have just insured it through brokers A Plan with Aviva for £329 a s accompany car with me as the keeper and business use for both me and my wife with a 300 excess. I am 57 and my wife 54 living in Bristol. That is less than I am paying on my 330Ci for the same cover and that is much older, so I think that is a good deal.

Anyone know someone looking for a 2000 Golf GTi 1.8T 150bhp?

pastyboy said:
nowtta60 said:

There is no need to get GAP insurance on a new car, as insurers replace a new car with a new car in the first year. You may need to look at it in the second year, but good brokers are the best to help there.

We are collecting our new Rex on Saturday morning and have just insured it through brokers A Plan with Aviva for £329 a s accompany car with me as the keeper and business use for both me and my wife with a 300 excess. I am 57 and my wife 54 living in Bristol. That is less than I am paying on my 330Ci for the same cover and that is much older, so I think that is a good deal.

Anyone know someone looking for a 2000 Golf GTi 1.8T 150bhp?
I forgot to mention - they will not replace a car in the first year if you are not the first registered keeper - there is a piece in this week's Auto Express about it.

pastyboy said:
That is less than I am paying on my 330Ci for the same cover and that is much older, so I think that is a good deal.
I think you'll find it's not the value of your car or its age that affects the quote most... its the fact it can do a lot of damage if it crashes into a line of shoppers at 150mph. The i3 is limited to 93mph. Not much better, but am hoping the driver collision avoidance stuff might get cheaper insurance. Haven't done a quote yet as mines not due till Feb/Mar 2015.

The cost of you car is negligible compared to paying out for someone's missing arms and legs, or a new living room and hotels in the mean time.

Plus an 330ci is perfect for joyriding. I can't see many 15 year olds wanting to be seen in an i3! Especially as they all have built in tracking ability.

Hello all.

My name is David and I represent one of the online providers of GAP insurance. I'm telling you this only in the interests of openness and to demonstrate that I have some detailed knowledge of this field - I will refrain from promoting our own policies specifically and give only general advice.

I came across this conversation and it was of interest. As pastyboy else has already pointed out, it's normally the case that it's a condition of the New-For-Old cover from the Motor Insurer that you need to have been the first registered keeper of the vehicle from new and it's usually also the case that if you have a Lease Hire / Contract Hire agreement you will never actually be the registered keeper of the vehicle - thus, as a general rule, vehicles that are the subject of a Lease/Contract Hire Agreement are usually excluded from New-For-Old cover.

MikeS, you said this:

MikeS said:
We will only do this if:
registered as new;

Which suggests that your Motor Insurance doesn't require you to be the Registered Keeper of the vehicle in order for them to provide New-For-Old cover. This isn't impossible but you might want to go to some effort to clarify this with the insurer and maybe, for your own peace of mind, get a response from them in writing, because, nowtta60's example here...

nowtta60 said:
MikeS said:

Depends on what the car is worth in year 2 and 3.

These aren't real figures just simple to illustrate:

Say it cost £35k.
1 year its worth 25k.
2 years 20k.
3 year 15k.

Assume with deposit contribution you pay £400 a month on the lease.

Accident writes of the car at exactly 2 years old.

You've got £4,800 of lease payments left to make.

The insurance offer is £20k... the market value of the car. Which goes to the lease company.

You've got to keep paying £400 a months for a car you nolonger have the use of.

The GAP will pay off the outstanding lease so you can then go an lease a new car for £400 a month.

[Edit]
To add it's a bit more complex than that and I'm quickly getting out my depth trying to explain. But basically the lease company are expecting to get a car back after 3 years worth £15k. And a number of interim payments. The GAP is to balance any shortfall from you nolonger having the car.

... is a good one.

Taking it one step further though, if you're paying £400 per month over 36 months, this comes to a combined value of £14,400. If a write-off was to occur before you'd paid the first of the 36 monthly rentals, in theory, if the finance house will hold you liable for 100% of the outstanding monthly rentals (calculation of settlement figures vary from one company to another, but 100% of outstanding rentals is quite usual), you'd be in the position of having to find up to £14,400 before entertaining the prospect of funding a new vehicle.

Hence, clarifying that you absolutely do have New-For-Old cover in place is quite important!

As for GAP insurance itself, far too many people make the mistake (based on having New-For-Old cover in place for the first year from the Motor Insurer) of waiting until the end of the first year to buy it (the GAP insurance). Only to find out that they cannot buy GAP insurance at that time - or at least not to remotely the same level of cover as they could have done initially.

As a general rule, the type of GAP insurance you need to cover a Contract Hire Agreement can only be purchased within the first 180 days. The same goes for vehicles purchased with cash or on a HP, PCP or LP agreement - you buy within the first 180 days, or not. Once you pass this 180 day deadline, you can normally only get a kind of GAP insurance, which, in the event of a claim, would pay the difference between your motor insurance payout and the cost of replacing the vehicle with one of the same Make, Model, Age and Mileage as your original vehicle was when you bought the GAP insurance policy... E.g. if your car was 12 months old with 14,000 miles on the clock at the time you bought the GAP insurance, they'd be paying up to the cost of replacing the vehicle with a 12month old version of the same car with 14,000 miles on the clock at the time of claim, however, whilst this would still provide some (though considerably reduced) cover for a vehicle that was being purchased, this type of cover would NOT (to my knowledge) be available for a Contract Hire vehicle.

The trick, if you have New-For-Old cover for the first year, is to buy a policy within the first 180 days but specify to defer the start date of the policy so that it actually kicks in at the beginning of year 2. This way if you only wanted 3 years cover in total, you'd actually buy a 2 year policy duration deferred by 12 months from the date of first registration.

The companies that allow you to defer the start date like this (and there are various online) don't charge a fee for the privilege which means you save money on the cost of the GAP insurance (2 years is cheaper than 3 etc), but you get to avoid duplicate cover in the first year and still benefit from GAP insurance cover in the latter years.

I trust this helps and I hope I've not (and I'm sorry if I have) upset anyone by jumping in here.

FLIPSKNACKER said:
Hello all.
I trust this helps and I hope I've not (and I'm sorry if I have) upset anyone by jumping in here.

I think it helps a lot.. one other thing your post reminded me of... not all GAP providers let you wait 180 days as that's quite a generous period for you drive round without an accident and then decide if I do write it off I'd like a brand new car. The company I went with had to be done within 28 days from delivery of the new car IIRC.

One other thing comes to mind...even if the insurer give you a brand new car as payout in the first 12 months, the lease agreement could include an element of finance. So you may still have more to pay on the lease than just the cost of a new car. This is just me "pondering" not a statement of fact.

Back