Potential common problems with 2016 BMW i3

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdbmwi3

Hello i3ers.

I am very happy with my recent purchase of 2016 BMW i3 rex from carvana. I got it fully checked in a nearby BMW dealership. They found no problems. Recommended break fluid flush sometime in the next few months.

The advisor also recommended me to purchase warranty plans as he said repairs like Headunit can cost $10K upwards. Although I cannot purchase now, I am wondering if I made a big mistake by not purchasing one of their plans. It would have costed me an additional $3500.

Can some of you share the problems you ran into. Mine has 41K miles right now. I drive some 60 miles per week on an average.

Thanks
Mohan

Rather than paying for an expensive extended warranty and then fighting to get the coverage that you think you've paid for, stash some cash every month in an interest-bearing account to help cover any repairs.

Seems like the BMW advisor was trying to scare you into purchasing an extended warranty. $10k for a head unit!? I doubt it, but I might know what a head unit costs if they were unreliable and were being replaced by other i3 owners. The most expensive electronics module, the electric motor electronics (EME), costs several thousand dollars if bought from a BMW dealer, but independent mechanics are learning how to service i3's and can usually fix problems for much less than a BMW dealer.

I've owned a new 2014 BEV and now a used 2019 BEV for almost 10 years total and have never experienced a problem that required a repair. i3's have been very reliable in general although the REx engine could be the source of many diagnostic trouble codes (DTC's). Even if the REx quit working, you could easily drive 60 miles per week on just battery power.

Rather than paying for an expensive extended warranty and then fighting to get the coverage that you think you've paid for, stash some cash every month in an interest-bearing account to help cover any repairs.

Seems like the BMW advisor was trying to scare you into purchasing an extended warranty. $10k for a head unit!? I doubt it, but I might know what a head unit costs if they were unreliable and were being replaced by other i3 owners. The most expensive electronics module, the electric motor electronics (EME), costs several thousand dollars if bought from a BMW dealer, but independent mechanics are learning how to service i3's and can usually fix problems for much less than a BMW dealer.

I've owned a new 2014 BEV and now a used 2019 BEV for almost 10 years total and have never experienced a problem that required a repair. i3's have been very reliable in general although the REx engine could be the source of many diagnostic trouble codes (DTC's). Even if the REx quit working, you could easily drive 60 miles per week on just battery power.
I see. Thanks Alohart.
Yeah.. I might not be using Rex as my typical daily round trip is under 15 miles.
Fantastic i3 design.. they should not have stopped production. Sad.

Back