The one thing I dislike about my 2021 i3s

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The hard plastic feel of the steering wheel is my pet peeve, almost to the point of trying to find someone who can wrap the wheel in custom leather while I wait.
used-2021-bmw-i3-s120ah-3620-22511139-17-1024.jpeg PICT0051.JPG.jpeg Years.
These are both BMW products. Why has BMW stopped providing leather-wrapped steering wheels? It seemed to be one of the hallmarks of any car in the premium segment. Are All BMW models now sold with these hard plastic steering wheels?

Is there an inexpensive 'fix for this?

I hate to break it to you, but there seem to be two versions of the i3 steering wheel, one with minimal padding and one with a little more. The bad news is that the slightly more padded one is only fitted to cars with the ACC; the padding covers the sensors which can tell if your hands are on the wheel.
I note that you, unfortunately, have ACC - so I don’t know what to suggest.

The hard plastic feel of the steering wheel is my pet peeve, almost to the point of trying to find someone who can wrap the wheel in custom leather while I wait.
These are both BMW products. Why has BMW stopped providing leather-wrapped steering wheels? It seemed to be one of the hallmarks of any car in the premium segment. Are All BMW models now sold with these hard plastic steering wheels?
I've owned 3 Giga i3's that have all had leather-wrapped steering wheels that don't feel like hard plastic to me. However, there isn't much (any?) padding which makes them feel harder than a more padded steering wheel.

One of the problems with these light-colored Giga steering wheels is that their leather wrap has a colored coating. They show dirt which makes one want to clean them more often than a dark steering wheel. This color coating can wear off if the wheel is cleaned too aggressively or often.

I can hardly dent the wheel with my fingernail. The wheel sure feels like plastic to me.

Oh well. I have not needed driving gloves for more than 50 years...
I guess Amazon will provide one way to skin this cat. I just need to decide if I want this type or the kind with the fingertips cut off.
61WebR+5izL._AC_SX679_.jpg

I can hardly dent the wheel with my fingernail. The wheel sure feels like plastic to me.
Try pinching it with full force between your forefinger and thumb. You should feel the very firm padding, or maybe it's only the leather, compressing. Hard plastic wouldn't compress like that.

Nevertheless, it is a hard steering wheel that you might prefer to soften with leather gloves. You'll probably appreciate gloves driving on a cold winter day without a heated steering wheel which is a surprising omission.

Back