Technical Questions about chargers

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its a problem of terminology! (and in some cases pedantry!)

Fast Charging should refer to AC charging using an EVSE which can be installed at home. This option is part of the standard configuration the UK

Rapid Charging should refer to DC charging which will not normally be available at home and currently is not available anywhere in the UK.

If you get an EVSE (its not a charger :geek: ) fitted at home it can charge up to 7.4kw (32 amps in the UK)

MikeS said:
Its a problem of terminology! (and in some cases pedantry!)

Fast Charging should refer to AC charging using an EVSE which can be installed at home. This option is part of the standard configuration the UK

Rapid Charging should refer to DC charging which will not normally be available at home and currently is not available anywhere in the UK.

If you get an EVSE (its not a charger :geek: ) fitted at home it can charge up to 7.4kw (32 amps in the UK)

Got it. On BMW's documentation here in Canada, the refer to the option as DC Fast charging. I now understand they should probably refer to it as DC Rapid charging.

Unfortunately, you will find different people using different terms. Bit disappointing that BMW can’t get it right between them! ;)

this might be stupid question but is one of pins on socket on car (top right one) supposed to be smaller and set in compared to the others?

Dshirt said:
this might be stupid question but is one of pins on socket on car (top right one) supposed to be smaller and set in compared to the others?

I think that's the pilot pin. It's more of a signaling pin and no "power" pin. So it makes sense that it can be smaller. The top left one is also for signaling (proximity), so can be smaller also.

Back