Steering not self centering

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Booked in on Thursday with a rack reconditioner for them to take a look. He has heard of the problem and has a
I'd also like to hear what he says about it. The worm gear design is not ideal in my opinion. But maybe there could be other problems that make it worse. I am thinking of disassembling the electric motor to determine the stiffness of the steering rack itself. And then drive to see if it centers. I had adjusted the wheel alignment for more toe in but that did not solve the problem.

I'd also like to hear what he says about it. The worm gear design is not ideal in my opinion. But maybe there could be other problems that make it worse. I am thinking of disassembling the electric motor to determine the stiffness of the steering rack itself. And then drive to see if it centers. I had adjusted the wheel alignment for more toe in but that did not solve the problem.
I dismantled my spare rack yesterday as far as I dared (as it's a working rack). Managed to remove the motor but not the pinion drive. That seemed to make little to no difference to the feel of the input shaft. It looks like it'll take quite a lot of dismantling to remove the pinion drive so I'll wait until I've spoken to the reconditioner before risking breaking the spare rack completely!

I've read of many people putting spacers on the wheels of their i3 in order to achieve "more stable" road manners for highway driving. I think that there are a lot of factors that play into how the i3 feels as you drive it.

I'm pretty sure the lack of self centering is a result of stiffness in the rack, not an inherent design feature of the i3. But I would like to hear from someone (anyone!) who says their i3 does self centre as you'd expect. I've read/seen plenty of reviews which mention excellent feedback from the road but I get virtually none.

For my entire driving life (35 years/50+ cars) I've never driven anything that doesn't self centre unless it has a fault. On all other cars you can tell if your alignment is out by the car pulling to one side or the other, or tracking straight with hands off the wheel. My i3 pulls to the left, pulls to the right, or goes in a straight line purely depending on where the steering wheel is left.

Come to think of it, I regularly drive on the A14 in UK - it's a road heavily used by large trucks and has quite severe dips where the truck tyres have worn the surface down. In my partner's VW Polo you barely notice when you go in and out of them, in my BMW 435d with wide, staggered wheels it's definitely noticeable but easily dealt with. In the i3 you have no notice then suddenly the car will veer off in one direction and need to be caught. It's like there is absolutely zero feedback from the wheels to the steering wheel so you don't feel the wheels being pulled slightly to one side and naturally correct it.
My 2019 120 steering self centres absolutely fine - as others have said, the car is quite twitchy in crosswinds (particularly on the motorway if you’re going above 60), but apart from that, it’s no different to any other car I’ve owned (I’ve owned a lot & have been a mechanic for 50 odd years).

My 2019 120 steering self centres absolutely fine - as others have said, the car is quite twitchy in crosswinds (particularly on the motorway if you’re going above 60), but apart from that, it’s no different to any other car I’ve owned (I’ve owned a lot & have been a mechanic for 50 odd years).
That's great to hear, as it means I'm not on a wild goose chase or going mad - but it's also concerning to hear how many i3 owners seem to have the self centering/stiff steering problem. I will get to the bottom of it!

Just to confirm - if you are driving straight and you turn slightly left or right then let go of the wheel, the wheel returns to the centre and the car doesn't keep turning in the direction you turned?

Thanks

That's great to hear, as it means I'm not on a wild goose chase or going mad - but it's also concerning to hear how many i3 owners seem to have the self centering/stiff steering problem. I will get to the bottom of it!

Just to confirm - if you are driving straight and you turn slightly left or right then let go of the wheel, the wheel returns to the centre and the car doesn't keep turning in the direction you turned?

Thanks
Certainly does!

Steering rack reconditioner has confirmed that the rack shouldn't feel like it does. He believes there's corrosion on the rack rod itself and it's binding on the bushes. Sounds like it's a very common problem, affecting a large percentage of i3's.

Good to hear where the problem probably lies. Does he think this can also be solved? If this happens regularly, there is little point in buying a used steering rack. I'd love to hear how it turns out.

Back