Setting up BMW Assist / i Remote ?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlexAtlantaEV

I didn't get any documentation regarding BMW assist and i Remote with my dealer papers. Is the best way to go about setting up BMW assist and the i Remote app through the SOS button? I'm in the USA.

Yes, through the SOS button. My password for Assist and iRemote.app were the same. Salesman should have input the password of your choosing at the end of the deal.

NOte, you'll also want to dig out your free card for public charging and activate it. It's probably tucked into your owner's manual. It requires a credit card, since some EVSEs do have a fee, but many of them are free...they only tap your CC if you choose to stop and use one that has a fee associated with it.

websterize said:
Yes, through the SOS button. My password for Assist and iRemote.app were the same. Salesman should have input the password of your choosing at the end of the deal.

Thanks! Seems BMW assist hasn't linked my car yet, so I am going to try again on Monday as they told me it could take some time after purchase for that to start working.

jadnashuanh said:
NOte, you'll also want to dig out your free card for public charging and activate it. It's probably tucked into your owner's manual. It requires a credit card, since some EVSEs do have a fee, but many of them are free...they only tap your CC if you choose to stop and use one that has a fee associated with it.

Thanks Jim! Appreciate it.

The dealer is responsible for entering your information into the system. Mine did it at delivery and had me verify my information on the screen. I think my CA even had me enter the password myself. Then I was told to wait 24 hours before hitting the SOS button so the information could propagate in the system. Worked flawlessly.

stumbledotcom said:
The dealer is responsible for entering your information into the system. Mine did it at delivery and had me verify my information on the screen. I think my CA even had me enter the password myself. Then I was told to wait 24 hours before hitting the SOS button so the information could propagate in the system. Worked flawlessly.

I called BMW assist through the SOS button, and they said just give it some, 24 - 48 hours. I did call the dealer though here in Atlanta and I guess they had some issues trying to setup BMW assist for my vehicle with whatever they had to do failing. I am going to follow up on Monday some time with BMW assist and see if its finally linked.

Finally got my BMW assist username and password. I guess it is going to take sometime before i Remote accepts it "incorrect password error". Hopefully by tomorrow I'll be running on i Remote as the temps drop drastically here in Georgia and I could really use the app in setting up a departure time whenever I need to from the app to extend the range a bit in the low temps.

I've been waiting for about 32 hours for mine to become active. I got mine from the dealership in Roswell off Alpharetta Hwy.

totsubo said:
I've been waiting for about 32 hours for mine to become active. I got mine from the dealership in Roswell off Alpharetta Hwy.

That's where I got mine. BMW assist took for me just over a week to get it activated. Now that it is and I have my username and password hopefully by tomorrow the i Remote functionality will work as well.

Those of you in the USA using i Remote, about how long after the BMW assist activation call did i Remote become functional for you? Currently I just get the incorrect password when trying to login with my username and password through i Remote, but its only been a few hours since the activation call for BMW assist so I don't know if that has something to do with it?

BMW assist told me today that currently iOS users are experiencing issues and they have their techs working on a fix for i Remote. They didn't have a timeline, but I'll try logging in again tomorrow and seeing if the "incorrect password" goes away. The BMW assist representative "reset my username and password to the same thing over" and said I could try again tomorrow and I might be able to get in.

I endured about a week of "incorrect password" when signing in failed and "no i3 found" when it succeeded (iOS version). iConcierge reset my account several times, sometimes without my knowing. After each reset, my password was reset back to the default password. Whenever I received the "incorrect password" message, I would try the default password which always worked.

iRemote has worked well for the past couple of weeks.

My iPhone showed the session has expired screen earlier in the week and I had to sign into the app again. Much like the process I went through after returning from a two-week Europe trip back in August. But this time I knew my user name/password and remembered to enter them in ALL CAPS. Was able to get back in without any issue.

Note: If you fail to input the correct password several times in a row, the server will lock your account. The only way to reset it is to call and have your case escalated. Then be prepared to wait. I reported my problem on August 22; access was restored on September 11.

I use an Adnroid phone for my iRemote, and I was experiencing this issue for a while...they had me uninstall and reinstall the app, then try my login info again.

GodFollower said:
I use an Adnroid phone for my iRemote, and I was experiencing this issue for a while...they had me uninstall and reinstall the app, then try my login info again.

I have tried it on multiple iOS devices including iPad's of multiple generations and the uninstalling and re-installing of the apps. At the moment, I am now every 48 hours calling BMW assist to reset my login till it starts to work. Going to give it till mid next week to start working and hopefully it will by then. Getting tired of doing pre-conditioning / set departure from the car itself. Craving to do it as I need or another household member needs especially with the dropping temps in Atlanta as we go into full blown winter. Noticed today how much pre-conditioning and departure times increase range during below 40-50 weather.

If resetting the app and them resetting your account haven't fixed the issue after multiple tries, the thing that seems to resolve it is to (with the car off and not charging) pull fuse F115, then reinstall it. That will do a power off restart to the telemetrics unit in the car. Several people (myself included) have resorted to that. The other way is to actually unplug the telemetrics unit power/data plug, but that requires removing the rear seat cover, finding the right module, and then putting everything back (getting the seat belt anchors through the seat cover so it can go back down is a pain. Try this at your own risk, or take it to the dealer. It was the only thing that got mine (and some others) working again. I was going to link to the thread I wrote on this, but didn't find it in a really quick search, but it's here.

Just a thought, has anyone who is having this issue tried manually updating the Assist services via the iDrive in the car?

jadnashuanh said:
If resetting the app and them resetting your account haven't fixed the issue after multiple tries, the thing that seems to resolve it is to (with the car off and not charging) pull fuse F115, then reinstall it. That will do a power off restart to the telemetrics unit in the car. Several people (myself included) have resorted to that. The other way is to actually unplug the telemetrics unit power/data plug, but that requires removing the rear seat cover, finding the right module, and then putting everything back (getting the seat belt anchors through the seat cover so it can go back down is a pain. Try this at your own risk, or take it to the dealer. It was the only thing that got mine (and some others) working again. I was going to link to the thread I wrote on this, but didn't find it in a really quick search, but it's here.

Guess I am going to have to take it to the dealer. Called BMW assist again today and its been now over 10 days. Still getting incorrect password at i Remote login.

AlexAtlantaEV said:
Still getting incorrect password at i Remote login.
For those getting the "incorrect password" message, if you haven't done so, try the default password, "1111". When one's account is reset by iConcierge, one's custom password is replaced by the default password.

Latest posts

Back