Scary catastrophic tire failure (not on an i3)

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's fine if you want to risk that, but just know overinflating your tires by doing this is a risk. The reason they get better mileage is due to less tire contact for lower rolling resistance. The risk is not just to blowing a tire, but improper wear patterns and less contact surface so your tires are more likely to break free of the road (like in a sudden stop). Your experience is purely anecdotal, I would side with the engineers and designers on this one when safety of myself or family is involved. It's just not worth a little extra range.

Incorrect tyre pressure increase break distance a lot.
Especially in rain and show.
10-15 meters (30-50 feet) might not seem a lot but, most people are optimistic when it comes to judging break distance.
Most people are fairly cautious when it comes to driving, but most people have experianced an overtake where the overtaker ends up braking to make sure they dont ram the car in front of them; Resulting in a hard break action from you and me 👿

If force chooking had been a thing, I would have been on the dark side by now 😊

Last night, we were surprised by the sound of an explosion. Residents of another of our reinforced concrete apartment buildings reported their building being shaken by the explosion. The cause was the explosion of a front tire on a 2018 Jaguar XJ parked in our parking garage below our apartment buildings. The explosion was so powerful that it blew the front fender off this Jaguar! Fortunately, the Jaguar wasn't being driven and no one was standing next to the exploding tire.

I wondered whether the owner had installed cheap Chinese tires on his Jaguar, but the tire was a Goodyear Eagle Sport made in Germany! The tire was manufactured in week 41 of 2016, so it was a bit old. However, no dry rot cracking was visible except where the tire was pressed against the concrete floor.

I've never heard of such a powerful explosion of an automobile tire. Makes me a bit leery when I'm inflating my i3 rear tires to the maximum inflation pressure embossed on their sidewalls.

As can be seen in the attached photos, the tire ripped across its treads and around its outer sidewall. Was this catastrophic tire failure really unusual? What might explain such a failure on a supposedly high-quality tire? Might this have been due to a defect in the construction of this tire although it lasted over 7 years before it failed.

View attachment 667
View attachment 668
This explosive tire failure seems quite rare, but definitely scary, especially given the quality and age of the tire. It’s possible an underlying defect or unnoticed damage caused this catastrophic event.

Latest posts

Back