Scary catastrophic tire failure (not on an i3)

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's fine if you want to risk that, but just know overinflating your tires by doing this is a risk. The reason they get better mileage is due to less tire contact for lower rolling resistance. The risk is not just to blowing a tire, but improper wear patterns and less contact surface so your tires are more likely to break free of the road (like in a sudden stop). Your experience is purely anecdotal, I would side with the engineers and designers on this one when safety of myself or family is involved. It's just not worth a little extra range.

Incorrect tyre pressure increase break distance a lot.
Especially in rain and show.
10-15 meters (30-50 feet) might not seem a lot but, most people are optimistic when it comes to judging break distance.
Most people are fairly cautious when it comes to driving, but most people have experianced an overtake where the overtaker ends up braking to make sure they dont ram the car in front of them; Resulting in a hard break action from you and me 👿

If force chooking had been a thing, I would have been on the dark side by now 😊

Back