Rust Warranty, has anyone used it?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Candece

I was going through my owners manual and came across the page that displayed warranty information
I have a 2014 Rex and I am over 77k miles. I noticed that I am still covered under the unlimited miles for 12 years for rust. Living in the rust belt this is good to know that I have just under 2 years left to "claim" anything. Has anyone else ever used this warranty and how bad does the rust have to be?

What are the exact terms of that warranty item? You may find that the terms rule out anything on the i3 that is likely to rust - because there are very few components on an i3 that can rust.

VW, for example, have a nice long rust warranty, but it only covers the perforation of body panels from the inside to the outside. This would be entirely useless on an i3, because there are no steel body panels of any significance. The only panel that I can think of that might have been steel during certain model years is the engine/motor cover.

The only panel that I can think of that might have been steel during certain model years is the engine/motor cover.
Our 2014 i3 had a CFRP motor compartment cover. Our 2019 and 2021 i3's have aluminum motor compartment covers. I can't think of any body panel that's steel. Brake components can rust, especially where roads are salted during the winter. However, I don't believe that these components are covered under the rust warranty.

There is some steel bar behind the back bumper, if you open the motor compartment cover you can see it, it can rust a bit, in my car it does due to salt in winter. And it is not a place you would want to use a hose to clean it and it is not very accessible to wash.

Back