Parking Brake Failure

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S3RDP

Has anyone experienced a "Parking Brake Failure"? This message has been flagged up on my car on several occasions including when I have been driving along quite merrily. Whilst stationary the parking brake has been locked on and the car immobilised. Car now recovered to dealer for investigation. I suspect the problem is software/sensor related rather than being a hardware problem.

Hello guys,

I had a more serious problem that only the park brake. My i3 had the following problems:

1. Park Brake Failure
2. Park Sensor failure
3. Daytime pedestrian warning
4. Frontal Collision Warning System
5. Flat Tire Monitor malfunction
6. Chassis Stabilization
7. No brake regen

I took my vehicle to the dealership and they run some diagnostics to determine the root cause. It turns out that one of the Wheel Speed Sensors is faulty and need replacing. I have had the vehicle for about a month and I hope is not a sign of things to come.

Best luck in solving your problem.

My problem was fixed at the third attempt. After a rather slow and painstaking effort the fault was traced to a poor electrical connection somewhere in the wiring. No reoccurrence but I fear because of the advanced technology on the i3 it is more susceptible to glitches like this.

S3RDP said:
My problem was fixed at the third attempt. After a rather slow and painstaking effort the fault was traced to a poor electrical connection somewhere in the wiring. No reoccurrence but I fear because of the advanced technology on the i3 it is more susceptible to glitches like this.
All new BMW's are rolling computers...it's not limited to the i3 by any means. And, BMW is not alone in this situation.

Back