low h scraping sound when braking

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BroPro

Since I bought the car, I’ve noticed a loud, scraping-like sound (a low ‘H’) when braking. Initially, I assumed it was due to the car being electric and not using the brakes as much, so I didn’t think much of it. However, after driving it for over a month, the sound persists.

Today, after some research, I discovered it could indicate a more serious issue, such as metal scraping on metal during braking for various reasons.

Is this normal sound for i3. Does anyone has the same experience?

Since I bought the car, I’ve noticed a loud, scraping-like sound (a low ‘H’) when braking. Initially, I assumed it was due to the car being electric and not using the brakes as much, so I didn’t think much of it. However, after driving it for over a month, the sound persists.

Today, after some research, I discovered it could indicate a more serious issue, such as metal scraping on metal during braking for various reasons.

Hi I would check you disc pads they could be very thin and causing metal to metal sounds

I've owned 3 i3's over 10 years. All of them have had rusty rotors that made a scraping sound when the friction brakes were used. I try not to use friction brakes much instead coasting and using regen braking to decelerate. The result is that the rotors aren't polished by the brake pads very often so surface rust forms. For me, this is normal.

However, after driving it for over a month, the sound persists.
As electric cars are quieter, grinding noises while braking are more noticable. But if you drive regularly and using the brakes now and then during your trip, it should not sound very alarming. So it may be the brake pads being worn out, or maybe stuck brake pads.

Back