Home Charger 7.4kw on 2021 i3

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andyi3suffolk

I have just had a 7.4kW home charger installed.
It is suitable for 32A at 230 volts, but my i3 is only consuming 15A.
Has anyone had similar problems?

As Mondomensch says, it may be a setting in the car. Or it may be a configuration setting in the charge point - or possibly it may be that the charge point is configured to reduce the charging rate because there are other appliances on your property that are using high levels of current.

I would check the car first, and then the EVSE configuration. On some the max current limit is simply a switch setting inside the unit.

I think the problem is with my new charger. It only has L1 and N power pins. I think the i3 needs L2 and L3 pins, for 7kW operation.
I think you might be on to something. In the USA that would be 120V; in most of Europe that would be 208V single phase. But what is more important is how the other end is connected in your breaker box. You need to measure the voltage from L1 to N to be sure.

I think the problem is with my new charger. It only has L1 and N power pins. I think the i3 needs L2 and L3 pins, for 7kW operation.
Incorrect. That’s for 3 phase and can do 11kW. Single phase and it will do 7kW with the correct setting of ‘max’ and and also a 32a cable. If you have a 16a cable then only 3.4kW. Has a small resistor in the 16a cable to signal max capacity to the wall box. So that’s 3 things to check. Car, wall box setting and cable.

Incorrect. That’s for 3 phase and can do 11kW. Single phase and it will do 7kW with the correct setting of ‘max’ and and also a 32a cable. If you have a 16a cable then only 3.4kW. Has a small resistor in the 16a cable to signal max capacity to the wall box. So that’s 3 things to check. Car, wall box setting and cable.
Are you in UK? ‘Suffolk’?

No - as already said, it doesn't need 3-phase to achieve 7.2kW. I know that my EVSE has only a single phase wired up (because I don't have 3 phase to my house!) and it will achieve around 28A charging current, which is as close to 7kW as I'm likely to get.

And, as Gonville says, check that you are using the correct cable with full 32A capability. It should be marked to show its rating.

I have no doubt the charger does not need 3 phase power input, but does the I3 need L1 L2 and L3 pins populated for charging above 3kW? i. e. 3 phase to the car?

I configured the above charger to the 32A setting.

Set charging controls in the i3 to max.

But the charger never reported delivering more than 16A.

I had trouble initially with my PodPoint charger re it's current output. It's on a 32A circuit but needs a 40A fuse for startup. Then it has to have an internet connection to comply with UK regs about smart charging. Without that last mine would only charge at 16A not 32A.

Ah, Ok. What you have is (in effect) a granny charger with a 32A Commando plug on it, not a proper Mode3 charger?

It seems likely that the car is detecting this as a Mode2 charger, and applying limits appropriate to that? You should be able to test this by changing the car's Mode2 settings, and seeing if the charge rate drops accordingly. If that's correct, setting the Mode2 rate to "Low" should drop your charging rate to 8A, I would expect, and the Mode3 settings (Max and Reduced) should have no effect.

I have tried it on two home chargers now. And one away from the home 7kW chargers.
I am now getting the "Unable to Charge", when mode 2 is set to anything other than Low.
Could this be related to a faulty 12v battery, that I have read elsewhere?

For reference, DC charging is working as expected.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back