Cruise Control +/- button worn out

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The plastic feels a bit "rubberlike", although a bit harder than the original. But it seems to be one piece. So not a base of plastic with a rubber layer over it.
To me it seems OK, but I have no idea how many years it will be OK to use. On the other hand € 3,59 is not much. So if I have to replace it after a few years, it's no problem (when the amount of work involved is reasonable).
I am in the middle of replacing the +/- button and found that I ordered the wrong one. I am not putting it back together until the correct one arrives. The airbag removal for me was beyond difficult, a few choice words were uttered. I wish I had tried to remove the rubber coating before I tore the steering wheel apart. If anyone is experiencing the rubber coating deteriorating maybe use an exacto blade and carefully remove the rubber coating. I put the switch back together with the rubber coating removed and it appeared to be working. I would not try this until others chime in with possible unforeseeable issues. For me the switch was sticking from the rubber getting jammed.(and it was ugly)

In the meantime I know that exchanging the button unit does cost around € 450,- (including labour).
I also know that I can order just the button at Ali Expres for around € 5,- (including shipping).
At youtube I found a few video's on how to replace the button, but because of the airbag, I should disconnect the 12V minus first. Sounds logical (and safe).
But I don't know what happens to the i3 when I disconnect the 12V minus.
How does it start up again? Just reconnecting the 12V- ? Or does it require some reset after that? Anyone who replaced a battery
I am having the same problem with mine now. What was the part number of the adjustment wheel?

I could be wrong but is it even required to remove the air bag or could you get to the back of the switch board like in this video.

I installed the TJA myself and there is no need to remove the airbag. It was easier than I thought that it would be. Not as easy as the video, but they have had more experience than I have. The button modules on both sides have to be removed because it is one assembly.

I installed the TJA myself and there is no need to remove the airbag. It was easier than I thought that it would be. Not as easy as the video, but they have had more experience than I have. The button modules on both sides have to be removed because it is one assembly.
Did you happen to take any pictures of removing the assembly?

And just so anyone reading this in the future is clear -- apples/oranges -- installing *just* the TJA if ordered from PremiumRetrofit is a 10 minute operation, consisting of screws and plug/play. I'm pretty much a moron and had no trouble.

If someone is installing TJA *and* the correct OEM buttons (rather than re-purposing the distance button as the PremimumRetrofit does) then that is what is more involved.

Didn't want anyone to get put off from TJA which is a major upgrade to this vehicle, especially if you are involved often in stop/go traffic.

And just so anyone reading this in the future is clear -- apples/oranges -- installing *just* the TJA if ordered from PremiumRetrofit is a 10 minute operation, consisting of screws and plug/play. I'm pretty much a moron and had no trouble.

If someone is installing TJA *and* the correct OEM buttons (rather than re-purposing the distance button as the PremimumRetrofit does) then that is what is more involved.

Didn't want anyone to get put off from TJA which is a major upgrade to this vehicle, especially if you are involved often in stop/go traffic.
I think we got off topic a little. I had used the TJA video as a reference for getting to the switches for the ability to replace the cruise control wheel with the possibility of not removing the airbag. I haven't tried opening up my steering wheel yet as I haven't ordered the replacement parts.

I did not take pictures. Other than removing the screws, the only tool I used was a plastic auto trim tool. The two sets of switches are connected by a wire wrap that runs under the steering wheel.

Back