i3 as emergency power source

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ME2SC

Bimmer & Beemer
Just wondering--on this 8th day of no power here in the Upstate of SC (thanks Helene!)--what the potential for using the i3 along with a 12v inverter would be. If the vehicle is fully charged, and I am using my 3000w inverter, it might be a viable emergency option for the fridge. I can charge at the office ChargePoint or the parking garage Clipper Creek during the day, then plug in the inverter overnight, leaving enough to get the 10 miles or so back to work the next morning.

Anyone hereabouts ever done this? Thoughts? Concerns? figures?

I think the 12v is rated for a max of a 2500 watt inverter. You would have to attach directly to the battery terminals. The power port plugs are rated much, much lower.

Anyone hereabouts ever done this? Thoughts? Concerns? figures?
Personally I would not risk the expensive DC converter in the i3 for powering something that draws more than 1kW. That is already around 80 amps from the converter. As an offgrid home solution, last year I hooked up my Kangoo EV main batteries (165v, 32kWh, 26kWh usable)) to a Victron 24v/600W battery charger to power a 24v battery bank and two inverters, besides a solar charger and some panels. That specific Victron charger accepts both AC and DC input power, so that is convenient. Worked great, I could power my house for a week before recharging the car at a nearby station. Not very efficient, but doable. So if in trouble -like real trouble, having an inverter or battery charger that accepts high voltage DC (400v DC minimum) then you may connect that directly to the i3 batteries. No guarantees and it is not very safe to mess with high voltage DC, but in an emergency it may be better than using 12v with an inverter. The advantage is you don't need very thick copper wire to shove amps with high voltage DC, but make shure the isolation is very tough and use a fuse directly after the battery. I do not know where you get access to the high voltage however. You will have to open something I guess. Again, very dangerous and only for those that know what they are doing and using premium and DC approved connections for the transfer. But I think that it will not work because of the contactors and other safety measures, but maybe someone has already experience how to pull it off. If you have to put your car in ready mode it is probably not worth it.

Last edited:
Back