Coding and grief from Service dept

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry for this late reply.
Yes I have.
BimmerCode won't run on my phone.
BimmerCode depends on Google Play and since I have a pure Android phone it keeps crashing.
It's a shame.
Ya, looks like GooglePlay is a requirement for BimmerCode, maybe they do their payment thing that way . . .who knows. They could handle the error a little more gracefully, though. Since I don't play google, I thought I'd see if their Windows version worked under Wine. Haven't tried yet because I'm not ready for further disappointment right now.

Very odd. Works just fine on my pure Android phone. Dunno what to say about that.
I used several Google Pixel phones, and they work perfectly for me.
I assume that Google Pixel is as pure as Android can get since Google owns Android.

By pure Android, @DuploCar may be referring to AOSP (or something similar, maybe Lineage or /e/OS without Gapps) which will be Android with no customizations, no third party apps or mods, no Google Apps, and no Google Play. Google hasn't really sold a stock Android device since the Nexus, but even then Google Play would have been . . . in play. ;) The Pixels all skin Android with Pixel UI, so they're quite a few steps away from anything stock and all the Gapps come along.

I've tried Bimmercode with Waydroid and with SFOS Android AppSupport, and the lack of Google Play definitely stops Bimmercode cold. Of course, the lack of direct access to BT will stop Bimmercode from working with a BT OBD dongle, but I was hoping that my WiFi OBD would work. Well, I'm not gonna find out with a phone, but I'll see when I get around to testing the Windoze verison.

By pure Android, @DuploCar may be referring to AOSP (or something similar, maybe Lineage or /e/OS without Gapps) which will be Android with no customizations, no third party apps or mods, no Google Apps, and no Google Play.

Since BimmerCode is really a one-time thing (or at least infrequent use), perhaps the easiest thing for @DuploCar would be to find a friend and borrow his phone for 10 minutes.

Since BimmerCode is really a one-time thing (or at least infrequent use), perhaps the easiest thing for @DuploCar would be to find a friend and borrow his phone for 10 minutes.
Not a bad idea, really. Still, my curiosity will still probably force me to try a laptop just to find out. Engineer thing I guess . . .

Not a bad idea, really. Still, my curiosity will still probably force me to try a laptop just to find out. Engineer thing I guess . . .
That solution would be ideal from my point of view.
There are a lot of little annoying things which could make my life easier.
I am sound sensitive, so a lot of the nagging reminder sounds would make my world a better place.
My eyes works just fine 🤓

I also have a driverside window issue which needs to be diagnosed.

I am not an engineer, but I used to work with computers/servers and network.
I had model specific software for my old Fiat, before someone decidede to break the law and made it a wrek.

I had model specefic software for my old car, which made problems a lot easier to troubleshoot.

Last edited:
Sorry. Have meant to get back to this, but life happens when you plan :sneaky:
By "Pure Android" I meant a DeGoogled Android OS.
A DeGoogle Android means that "Google Play Store ", "Google Service Framework (GFS)" does not have special access to the OS. Google's version of Android short circuit the Android build in security. A pure Android does NOT leak personal information and does not track when tracking has been disabled.
So here is a screenshot of what happen on ny DeGoogled phone using LinageOS and installede BimmerCode through Aurora App-store.
Have you ever noticed that Facebook/Linkedin suggest friends from parties and events you have been visited or near
Even when GPS and data has been disabled and you have changed the user profile it tracks the owner.
Google sells this information.
The proof is in the commercial when you use Youtube. These days These days I get commercials for female products and products in foreing languages
It is privacy vs convinience.

Attachments

• 1726417637939.png
    1726417637939.png
    560.8 KB · Views: 0
The story continues....I bought a Pixel phone and installed Graphene OS.
(FYI: Google does not sell the cleanest version of Android :D)
I got the unlicensed BimmerCode to work (sort of) with my unsupported ODBD BT adapter. The i3 turned on :cool:
But did get an error trying to buy the full version.

BimmerCode require both "Google Play Store" and "Google Service Framework (GFS)" as well as to be loged into a Google account.
Since I did it from another user account ill avoid tracking when I switch to my primary account :coffee:

Back