Charge flap won't open

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I have tried opening when it says fueling is not possible, and it does not open. It could be related to the fuel tank pressure and temperature sensor. I think I pulled that code up a while back, but basically ignored it as it does not affect operation of the REX, and is not required for inspection in PA. I looked up the video on how to change it, and it looks like a REAL PAIN. It involves dropping the whole gas tank and taking it apart. The sensor is in a compartment under where the evap. canister is mounted, and takes a special BMW only tool to remove the compartment cap after you remove the evap. canister. I also read the replacement sensor is gold plated and the failure is due to corroded contacts. I just didn't put this together with the issue opening the gas cap. Oh, the 15 seconds mentioned above is really 25 seconds, two or three times. I edited that post to correct the typo.

Last edited:
Yes, I have tried opening when it says fueling is not possible, and it does not open. It could be related to the fuel tank pressure and temperature sensor. I think I pulled that code up a while back, but basically ignored it as it does not affect operation of the REX, and is not required for inspection in PA. I looked up the video on how to change it, and it looks like a REAL PAIN.
Ask your BMW whether replacement of this pressure sensor is covered under an extended warranty. I believe I recall reading that it is, but I don't know whether there are any qualifications for this extended warranty coverage.

Ask your BMW whether replacement of this pressure sensor is covered under an extended warranty. I believe I recall reading that it is, but I don't know whether there are any qualifications for this extended warranty coverage.
I recall reading about that, and the qualification was that they would replace it for free if they were performing other service in that area.

I.E. if they were replacing the EVAP canister due to overfilling the gas filler tube (not covered under warranty) and charging $1000+ to drop the gas tank anyway, they should replace the pressure/temperature sensor free.

I would rather not pay $1000+ to have the sensor replaced. I am talking to my local non-BMW mechanic to see if he is comfortable doing the repair. He has done brakes, and sensors, and oil changes for me, but gets nervous if anything gets too close to the HV parts.

Back