94ah Rex Road Trip

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesInLondon

Supporting Member
Last week I took myself and Mr Porter (2017 94ahRex) to France, which involved a trip of just over 1,400 miles (around 2,300km) in eight days. The trip was made possible by two non-BMW items; a 10 litre Jerry can (which fitted perfectly into the frunk alongside the charging cable) purchased from Amazon.co.uk and the Chargemap card. The contrast between the state of the roads and the charging infrastructure in the UK and in France is alarming.

On the French Autoroutes, I set the ACC to 74mph in the Eco Pro mode, listened to a book and enjoyed the drive immensely. Whilst in and around the small towns of Cognac the i3 was perfect, many of them have 30km (20mph) speed limits where the ACC again proved vital. It was during these days, when I unplugged the car from the hotel’s overnight charger, when I saw the highest projected possible mileage on the screen, 235 miles, although I don’t think that I ever saw anything like that. I charged the car at several different operators’ chargers on the autoroutes and in Cognac and the Chargemap card worked at every one of them. At one station there was a bilingual young lady whose job was to explain how to use the chargers to neophytes, and also to wash your windscreen – she refused any attempt to tip her with the response “No, this is my job, I am already paid”.

As I have my own charger at home, so I had never previously used these high speed chargers and was amazed at how quickly they got me from 20% to 90/95% (which is where I usually unplugged), I would go to the toilet, buy a sandwich and replenish my water bottle and by the time I returned to the car it would be nearly ready to go.

I had the climate control running the whole time. On the Autoroutes I was getting about 150 miles between stops, which I would take when the petrol and battery levels had between 15 to 20% reserves, I could have probably done another 30 to 40 miles, but I chose not to push my luck.

The most amusing/interesting thing I noticed was that on some of the long Autoroute descents – sometimes more than a mile long – my battery percentage would rise as much as 1.5% even whilst the car was maintaining 74mph.

I have done this trip several times, previously always in one of my Mercedes convertibles, this was a MUCH more restful trip and at the end of the long start/finish legs I felt tired, but not exhausted, which I always had previously. I would have no hesitation in repeating the trip tomorrow.

IMG_7511.jpegScreen Shot 2020-10-05 at 13.10.39.jpg

Did you use the gas can in the frunk? Actual gas stations not plentiful across the pond?
Yes, I refilled the petrol tank whilst charging. Then, when I stopped to fill the Rex tank I would also fill both, it probably saved me ten minutes on the whole trip, but it also gave me an additional sense of security in case there were inoperative or occupied chargers. If I were to do it again, I would still probably take it.

I had not thought of the "two birds with one stone" aspect. Good point.

Obviously, every driver must assess for themselves the advisability of having gas can in the frunk area.

Back