2021 Galvanic Gold Metallic BEV

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alohart

Supporting Member
Yesterday, I picked up our 3rd i3 Giga BEV with the Tech Package, a 2021 Galvanic Gold Metallic model, from the Pasha Hawaii shipping company that brought our i3 from San Diego to Honolulu. I bought it remotely from BMW of San Diego where it was a 3-year lease return offered as a Certified Pre-Owned BMW. I hoped that the sale might qualify for the federal tax credit on the purchase of a used EV, but BMW of San Diego would not sell it for less than $25k. They did the typical sleazy dealer-installed add-on of a ceramic coating for only $995 which wasn't stated in their ad. 😞 I told them that I didn't want this ceramic coating and wouldn't pay for it. They offered to sell it to me for $995 less than their asking price but only by decertifying it. That was fine with me because I've never had a warranty repair in 9.5 years of i3 ownership, so extending the existing warranty for a year wasn't important to me, and new rear tires had already been installed. Having been driven less than 9k miles over 3 years, it is a lightly-used i3 in excellent condition, so I'm happy.

Attachments

• IMG_1244.jpeg
    IMG_1244.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 2
Wow! That Galvanic Gold looks like an idol or a trophy. Nice.

... or maybe it's the ceramic coating causing it to pop! 🫣

Wow! That Galvanic Gold looks like an idol or a trophy. Nice.

... or maybe it's the ceramic coating causing it to pop! 🫣
It's not obvious in the photo, but "Goldie" was very dirty after being parked for a month outside at BMW of San Diego, the holding lot of the shipping company, Pasha Hawaii, and in the RORO ship for 5 days at sea with its salty air. I've cleaned her up since this photo which really does make Galvanic Gold Metallic pop. However, I can't tell much difference between the reflectivity of Galvanic Gold Metallic and Imperial Blue Metallic or how it reacts to water when it's being washed that I could attribute to a ceramic coating which our Imperial Blue Metallic i3 doesn't have. I've always been a bit suspicious of ceramic coating claims because the ceramics I'm familiar with are created under high heat unlike ceramic coatings.

Several months ago, I looked at a 2021 Galvanic Gold Metallic Mega World i3 for sale a a Mini dealer here. Its stained driver's seat and boring gray Mega World trim level turned me off. It also had a moonroof which I didn't want in our strong tropical sunlight, so I passed on buying it. Early last week before our 2021 i3 arrived, I saw my second Galvanic Gold Metallic i3 in the Costco parking lot. I had seen a Galvanic Gold Metallic i3S earlier. There are quite a few i3's in Honolulu, so being offered only in 2021 in the U.S., a Galvanic Gold Metallic i3 is probably a fairly rare color which I like. Imperial Blue Metallic gives an i3 a classy look, but it's so dark that it looks almost black in some lighting conditions which I don't prefer. I'm happy with the change. Today, I'm preparing our 2019 i3 so that I can post for sale ads.

beautiful! thanks for sharing. my 2019 is also a california car and I hope you do a better job of not damaging the paint when you remove the stickers on the bumper. I had my rear bumper wrapped but the person who removed it was not careful.

beautiful! thanks for sharing. my 2019 is also a california car and I hope you do a better job of not damaging the paint when you remove the stickers on the bumper. I had my rear bumper wrapped but the person who removed it was not careful.
Yeah, I have 4 of these HOV stickers attached to the black sections of the front and rear bumpers. I quickly tried to pull one off starting with my fingernail but got nowhere fast. Must be some serious adhesive. Any tips on how to remove these without damaging the black paint? I thought I would try heating them with a hair dryer in hopes that heat might soften the adhesive. Alcohol would probably remove the adhesive remaining on the paint after the stickers are removed.

Yeah, I have 4 of these HOV stickers attached to the black sections of the front and rear bumpers. I quickly tried to pull one off starting with my fingernail but got nowhere fast. Must be some serious adhesive. Any tips on how to remove these without damaging the black paint? I thought I would try heating them with a hair dryer in hopes that heat might soften the adhesive. Alcohol would probably remove the adhesive remaining on the paint after the stickers are removed.
The hair dryer is a good idea. I'm not sure if those stickers have a plastic front if you can get them to just paper it should be easier to remove. Have you seen or can you get automotive goo gone where you live? It is safe on paint.

https://a.co/d/03u3GNRQ

GO SLOW and do not rush. The pervious used car dealer put a nice chip on the paint in one location getting it off :mad:

If the hair dryer can get a corner started you might be in business.

Back