2016 rex upgrade display and connected drive

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdbmwi3

hello bimmers,

I am buying a 2016 i3 w/ rex. I am excited but

1. I just learnt that ConnectedDrive is no longer very valuable because 3G service was discontinued. is there any work around for this problem.
2. is it possible to upgrade the 10.5 display to have apple car play.

-md

Nothing you can really do to get ConnectedDrive without 3G service because BMW won't do what's necessary to make a 4G telematics module work in your i3. Even if BMW would cooperate, the 4G telematics module costs over $1k, I believe, so for many i3 owners, that's a bit spendy for what ConnectedDrive offers.

hello bimmers,

I am buying a 2016 i3 w/ rex. I am excited but

1. I just learnt that ConnectedDrive is no longer very valuable because 3G service was discontinued. is there any work around for this problem.
2. is it possible to upgrade the 10.5 display to have apple car play.

-md
We have a 2016 rex that has a 10" display and I have been using this unit for the past 4 months and very happy with it. you have to strip a fair amount of the car backseat to dash including the glove box but its not over difficult.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100....order_list.order_list_main.42.67421802ogMpDZ

its not perfect but there again I had new a BMW F40 118i and the android auto / carplay on that was just as buggy.

BTW good support from the manufacture

Latest posts

Back