17 BEV 60ah (94) Hatchback Meka Black

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lura Beaumont

She is zippy but demanding for a limited range in rural high desert with extreme weather and limited shade.

It’s more than anxiety finding DC charge, no home charging options. I’m still in awe of the situation after 4 weeks of plotting & planning.

I need to do the usb map update, but I’m not sure of what to look for specifically as far as license/subs, MAC only, but do I need the cable and bluetooth wireless upgrades too?

⚠️ Low Tire Pressure is perpetual wak-a-mole 1-4 tires semi weekly. Need new Tires? Where are these “star” tires the manual barely mentions?

Learned yesterday I’m accepted to grad school 90miles away - avg charge 72mi.

Feeling like an idiot but I love her and want to keep her, otherwise eating 5k to trade-in for longer range/hybrid.

⏳🌵🔌

I'm confused by the battery pack capacity of your i3. If it's a 2017 model, it should be a 94 Ah battery pack. However, a very few 2017 models were sold in the U.S. with 60 Ah battery packs, maybe only to car-share companies, fleet purchases, and the like. However, a 72-mile range is consistent with a 60 Ah battery pack. A 94 Ah battery pack should have a range greater than 100 miles.

Not being able to charge an EV where it's parked at night is not a good situation. I did that for 2 years and swore to never do it again. Just too much anxiety and time involved.

I'm Mac-only and used to update the maps on our 2014 i3 BEV a couple of times per year. The only hardware needed is a 32 GB or larger USB flash drive. You would need to delete the hidden files that macOS adds when the downloaded map update files are copied to a USB drive from a Mac. To do this, I used the Terminal app to execute the Unix "rm -rf .*" command with the current directory being the top directory of the USB drive. These files can prevent the map update process from working.

Where I live, the maps didn't change noticeably, so I'm not sure that updating the maps was worth the license cost and time involved. I bought the least expensive lifetime map update license I could find by searching the Internet. I was sent the license key and a URL from which I could download the large map update files. I downloaded subsequent map updates from URL's that a member of the Facebook i3 Worldwide BMW i3 Owners group posted. You would need the North American map in the "Next" format. 2018 and later i3's use a different map format that supports automatic over-the-air incremental updates.

Seems like you have slow air leaks in one or more tires. That doesn't mean that you need new tires, but there might be punctures or leaky tire valve stems causing the leaks. Frequent low inflation pressure warnings aren't normal.

If you can't figure out a convenient charging procedure, I hate to suggest that you might not have the right car for your situation.

Back